Web
Analytics
Google maps API 'Permanently closed' | Computers, Websites and Technology | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Google maps API 'Permanently closed'

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Guys,

I have done some Coding in the past and work with API's at work but i'm struggling with something that could benefit urbex.

Google maps tags some locations as 'permanently closed.' I'm trying to work out how to do an API call to return all 'permanently closed' places on a map.

Going through the api documentation i can see that the attribute is simply 'permanently_closed'

Has anybody tried anything similar? Running out of ideas here!
TIA

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Normally I only use that is to confirm if the place has closed, if I know it’s location ect, using google maps is a good way to speak out on if it’s closed or not, however, if you just type in “school or hospital” into it (red writing) it will show a list of schools or hospitals in the list, including permanently closed one!

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi mate, where are you typing it? Just in the normal watch bar?

mom hoping to bring back a list of all places, even if it’s not in the area I’m searching.

I currently use it the same way as you but I feel having them all there would be a better way as you can see if the buildings are still there.

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, literally just type hospital into the search bar, don’t click any hospital names, just click the word hospital highlighted in red, then it will zoom out and pin all hospitals in that area including derelict ones. That’s a little trick for all you guys out there too, it works, trust me ;)

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have had that before when searching in the rough area for something when I knew what I was looking for as I recall. Would be nice to see everywhere though lol.

Shaun

Most Annoying Member
28DL Full Member
Good idea, but you probably won't find anything more than a few pubs or factories doing that, the older obscure stuff is not on the Web

AndyK

Behind Closed Doors
Regular User
I wrote a PHP script to do this exact thing. It's tricky, because the permanently closed flag cannot be returned as a parameter in a list of locations, it can only be queried for a specific location (one at a time). This means you first have to load a list of all the locations within a certain area (you can specify a co-ordinates range to search within, for example) then loop through the results to individually query every one of those locations, returning the permanently closed flag. It's not a great way to do something like that, but in theory it works. In practice, you soon hit the API's limits on the number of requests you can send - you can't send more than 500 requests in a 100 second period. This means if your location search returns more than 500 results (which it will for town/city centres etc) it will stop at that limit. It works well for small areas, but it's not feasible to use it for large densely populates areas.

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wrote a PHP script to do this exact thing. It's tricky, because the permanently closed flag cannot be returned as a parameter in a list of locations, it can only be queried for a specific location (one at a time). This means you first have to load a list of all the locations within a certain area (you can specify a co-ordinates range to search within, for example) then loop through the results to individually query every one of those locations, returning the permanently closed flag. It's not a great way to do something like that, but in theory it works. In practice, you soon hit the API's limits on the number of requests you can send - you can't send more than 500 requests in a 100 second period. This means if your location search returns more than 500 results (which it will for town/city centres etc) it will stop at that limit. It works well for small areas, but it's not feasible to use it for large densely populates areas.
PHP sounds a bit out of my league then unfortunately as much as i would have no issue spending hours doing tiny bits at a time! If you would be interested in sharing the code please let me know. Don't mind putting in some hard work to give back to the community :)