real time web analytics
Report - - Gorton Falls, Manchester, April 2015 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gorton Falls, Manchester, April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
this chute leads to the sump and syphan, slip here and the result will be drowning

19_zps0gu9ordm.jpg

Shudder at the thought of taking a fall down there :eek:

espeleólogo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos, and more mancunian old brickwork.

Surprised UU have not put a "safety chain" or some form of barrier and warning signs ahead of that scary looking slope into an unknown doom...given H&S is such a big issue in the UK right now, this seems a bit negligent don't you think?

In HK where I am now, I tried to get into one drainage tunnel, the manhole is locked ABOVE, and the grille only lets you look in, but not climb in?!

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
well we aren't supposed too be there really,
the hatches are sealed & no official will attempt too use those ladders

espeleólogo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
True, we aren't meant to be draining in these places, at least, according to them.

I am amazed they have not replaced the ladders, all that would need is a barrier/gate across that or even blocking up the top half, and then a grilled part on the bottom to allow flow through and trap some of the shyte that would otherwise end up atop of the outside syphon. Definitely warning signs upstream and around that flow...

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
True, we aren't meant to be draining in these places, at least, according to them.

I am amazed they have not replaced the ladders, all that would need is a barrier/gate across that or even blocking up the top half, and then a grilled part on the bottom to allow flow through and trap some of the shyte that would otherwise end up atop of the outside syphon. Definitely warning signs upstream and around that flow...

very unlikely too occur

espeleólogo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree.

But seriously, how long before someone becomes a cropper in one of these places? That ladder is dodgy to say the least....imagine the rescue workers job of recovering a body if something happened, presumably they would have to damn/divert flow upstream, and pump out the sump?

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I agree.

But seriously, how long before someone becomes a cropper in one of these places? That ladder is dodgy to say the least....imagine the rescue workers job of recovering a body if something happened, presumably they would have to damn/divert flow upstream, and pump out the sump?

hopefully that never occures