real time web analytics
Report - - Gourock Ropeworks Air Raid Shelter, Port Glasgow - July 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gourock Ropeworks Air Raid Shelter, Port Glasgow - July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with my old school friend @Hiddenscotsman. This was his first taster of the underground, so glad you enjoyed it mate! :thumb

Been meaning to check this one out for years, but having lived in the south of England for nearly 7 years I was pretty spoiled for what was available down there, so it was never a priority on a trip back home. After 4/5 months living back north of the wall I was craving an underground explore so we decided on a whim to make the journey after a successful visit elsewhere. As is traditional when we go out anywhere, the longest and most awkward route was chosen. Rather than a casual stroll from the car, we opted to scramble down from the top of the hill after I'd ripped my trousers on the fence, realising there was a 12+ft drop at the bottom we wandered off away from our access point to find a way down. Going as far as we could, we had no choice but to shimmy down a tree. All of this in the pissing rain! Plus we had ended up in the wrong fucking hole in the ground to start with! :banghead

(A couple of phone pics from the fail lol)

Pretty sure it's this way...
ZD8vev2h.jpg

Yeah... we prob should NOT be in here when it is raining so badly!
sbkYOJBh.jpg

Oops! :p

Anyway, some history yoinked from @elhomer12's report:

This Air Raid Shelter in Port Glasgow was built for the workers of the nearby Gourock Ropeworks, and was the largest privately owned shelter within the UK at the time. It is believed to have been built before the outbreak of WW2 by a group of Polish workers... apparently taking them 6 months to complete.

We eventually got there, and prepared ourselves to get wet feet. I'd heard that the water was currently 13 inches deep inside. My wad0rz got dumped in Portsdown Hill Navy Fuel depot after @Grom and I went, not a chance in hell that oil was coming off, and I have never replaced them. I was hoping the wellies I had in the car would be enough. I was very happy that the water level had dropped and it was just a bit muddy! After a quick smoke we made our way inside...

L8E8Dgeh.jpg

kuyWbCVh.jpg

GMnKciah.jpg

x81bUAqh.jpg

5G02IXph.jpg

gqRON18h.jpg

0Hd682vh.jpg

y8C8y0Lh.jpg

TOFiNZlh.jpg

WcXxmlch.jpg

ZoP5yqZh.jpg

Needless to say, we chose the 5 min casual stroll back to the car.

Thanks for looking!

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report when we went I would say the whole place was a good foot or so deep lucky you.

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I need to go here. Was going to go with Sam last weekend, but she doesn’t have wellies lol. Great set my friend.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Loving the lighting/colour, I really like that second shot, I think its the way it makes the wall/buildup glisten. :thumb:cool: The angle of the torch in others may shots stunning