real time web analytics
Information - - Government Pipeline and Storage System (GPSS) Primer video | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Government Pipeline and Storage System (GPSS) Primer video

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
There's a short video I've just spotted on YouTube about the GPSS, an often overlooked part of the National infrastructure. It explains it's wartime origins, and how it still in use today as part of the countries critical infrastructure. The video features at least one site that is sometimes visited by users of this forum, hope you enjoy!

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really interesting, thanks.

Saw my first one outside of Chester when the train stopped next to a hillside. Bunkers and holes everywhere! Never heard of them until I researched what I saw that day.

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is one at Beeston castle built into the hill next to the railway line between Chester and Crewe, now disused,as above, also Croughton /Backford area behind Chester Zoo, , finally on the Ellesmere Port Canal there used to be a smalliish vase shaped valve, on a small diameter pipe spanning the canal which was labeled PLUTO eg, Pipeline under the ocean,with an information board, linking Stanlow to south coast and onto France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLH_Pipeline_System

also www.linewatch.co.uk for more information

Rainey

Hilariously under-equipped since 1999.
28DL Full Member
I have the old RN Fuel Bunker near me, in Portsmouth. I'm not fully sure if it was a part of the GPSS. I'm also not sure if there is any GPSS systems still in use near me.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Twemlow Fuel Depot, Chesire. Part of the GPSS.

X2AZ74z.jpg

PT6WNLQ.jpg

UT2vc98.jpg

Salmon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, this is interesting. There are a couple of bits local to me which I could look for to make a walk more interesting.