Web
Analytics
Report - - GPSS Fuel Storage Depot - Islip - July 2013 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - GPSS Fuel Storage Depot - Islip - July 2013



Zotez

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Islip Fuel Depot

This is one of a backlog of reports to post. Visited with TBM.

History stolen from another report:
The site first opened in the 1930's as an RAF reserve fuel depot with a capacity of around 6500 tons. After the war the site was taken over by Esso as a fuel dispersal depot, it was expanded in the 1960's and in the late 1960's 60 wagons a day would enter the depot, 30 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. Esso closed the site in 1969, It was then partly used to supply jet fuel to RAF Upper Heyford as the pipeline stretched out to the village of somerton which is next to the airbase. This is supported by markings on slop tanks identifing US classification for Jet fuel. The pumps have been quiet since the late 80's early 90's which coinsides with the base's closer in 1994.
IMG_7405_zpsa21eb1d8.jpg


IMG_7401_zps6b12e233.jpg


IMG_7476_zps1e4235b7.jpg


IMG_7538_zps8dc8a98b.jpg


IMG_7501_zps267781b9.jpg


IMG_7532_zps06e7fca8.jpg


IMG_7551_zps1bb5d61e.jpg


IMG_7522_zps0cd51d6c.jpg


IMG_7419_zps15d9cb50.jpg


IMG_7428_zpscc17126a.jpg


IMG_7509_zps2c6fcb36.jpg


IMG_7459_zpsc51293a8.jpg


Thank you for reading.
 

Similar threads