real time web analytics
Report - - Grain Fort - Caponier Tunnels | June 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grain Fort - Caponier Tunnels | June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Slippin_Jimm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Grain Fort was built during the 1860s on the Isle of Grain to protect the mouth of the river Medway. It was constructed with a crescent shaped keep, which formed the case-mated barracks and entrance to the fort.

A raised earth bank behind this formed around this was mounted with Rifled Muzzle Loading guns in large gun pits. The fort was protected by a surrounding dry ditch that was flanked by four caponiers. Guns continued to be mounted on the fort throughout WW1 and WW2, and was disused by the army in the 1950s. During the 1960s the fort was demolished, leaving only the underground sections. The site has not been developed, and it is open land, the shape of the gun positions and a wall here and there are the only reminders of this Napoleonic era fort.

The Explore

We had just paid a quick visit to the Battery Tower - with advise to go up quick and even told us the way up from the Coastguard officer on the shore to only come back to one of his colleagues explaining that we're trespassing (albeit true) and recorded us + cautioned not to come back. So thanks first coastguard guy for nothing, we'd have turned back had he said no at risk of there being eyes on us. But we then dried our shoes and marched to the old fort. This place has been pretty done to death, I myself have frequented it over 5 or so times in the past however is a good beginner explore to show to friends / family who are interested in urban exploration. Pretty simple entry points and a somewhat tight squeeze for a big boy like myself.

The Pictures

DSC_0587-min.JPG

DSC_0594-min.JPG

DSC_0599-min.JPG

DSC_0600-min.JPG

DSC_0601-min.JPG

DSC_0602-min.JPG

DSC_0603-min.JPG

20190713_073943.jpg

20190713_061943.jpg

DSC_0608-min.JPG

DSC_0615-min.JPG

DSC_0616-min.JPG

DSC_0617-min.JPG

DSC_0618-min.JPG

DSC_0619-min.JPG

DSC_0622-min.JPG

DSC_0624-min.JPG

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Yeah the coastguard do not like people being on grain tower, it's a risk to them having to be called out to rescue stranded people - it has happened. I bet the first guy was a rookie who then went and told his colleague who took it more seriously. Unfortunate for you. Wonder what they were even doing there did they say? Good to see it's still accessible.