real time web analytics
Report - - Grain Power Station , June 2015 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grain Power Station , June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dmax

Don't eat my biscuit !
28DL Full Member
We missed the turbine hall with this one but the control room was well worth getting locked in for 6 hours :)
Grain Power Station is a closed and now partly dismantled oil-fired and CCGT power station in Kent, England, it had an operational capacity of 1,320 megawatts (1,770,000 hp) and is owned by E.ON . the station opened in 1979 and it has the second tallest chimney in the UK at 801 feet tall. this place is big and dangerous there's RSJ hanging in the air just by a few bolts and because of the high winds bricks seemed to be falling every few minutes one landed just in front of me at one point. there are holes in many of the floors that drop from the very top down to the ground level ! but if you ask me the real crazy thing on this site is part of the sub station out the back is still very much live so walking through it at night with it humming away got the pulse racing a bit, in fact as we got into the site we could hear something arcing and it ended up being the electrodes on two very big circuit breakers, the arc was about 10 or 15 foot and was something amazing to see for sure !! needless to say we kept well away from it and if anyone takes a trip here DO NOT walk anywhere near this thing as 66KV and upwards can and will jump over to you if you get too close and at these voltages you will be turned instantly into something resembling pencil lead ! I was told by someone on 28DL that Speed had a go at this station but could not do it and because of that he told everyone else it could not be done , what more can I say lol , he did contact me about 8 or 9 weeks ago and asked about access but I gave him the same info I got from him years ago when I asked for help on a site and that was fuck all ! anyway lets speak no more of silly people and on with the pictures.

outside_zps3txn553l.jpg

Grain_zps7dpk0mzz.jpg

Roof_zpszvnk1toi.jpg

RSJs_zpspsi4dkdt.jpg

Pipes_zpssp9e1ie8.jpg

Aux%20Board%202_zpserv1jmdq.jpg

Switch%20Room_zpspl11xlfk.jpg

Annex_zpsven4njuk.jpg

Wires_zpsxfajrhwe.jpg

I'm happy to say we got here just in time as the control room is being stripped, out of the five desks two had been completely stripped out but the ones left are great looking.

Panel_00_zpscrubn9yu.jpg

Control%20Desk_zpszfnevhvo.jpg

Control%20room%20W_zpstvqsepm9.jpg

CRW_Panorama2_zpsu4qc7waw.jpg

Control%20room_zps7qouhpte.jpg

Power_zpsgq7pm4rf.jpg

here is a video of the demolition of part the machine bay , this was filmed by Brown and Mason the same wankers that took Pyestock from us lol !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
they weren't really expecting people when these lot were originally getting done. I can only imagine the increased security at these sites over the last 2 years or so is merely down to the amount of people suddenly showing an interest

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Haha i wonder who that was! In actual fact i've never given this one much thought at all let alone go there and try, by the time i got interested i had seen that video and knew it was like this! I'm surprised how much you managed to see tho. Another reason to kick myself for not having a go. Same story as Cockenzie really, thought it was all gone a long time before it was really all gone, but goes to show, theres control rooms and more still sitting there right until the end! (sometimes they are still there 50 years later after all!)