real time web analytics
Report - - Grain Tower Battery - Kent - August 2016 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grain Tower Battery - Kent - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Grain Tower is a mid-19th-century gun tower situated offshore just east of Grain, Kent, standing in the mouth of the River Medway. It was built along the same lines as the Martello Towers that were constructed along the British and Irish coastlines in the early 19th century and is the last-built example of a gun tower of this type. It owed its existence to the need to protect the important dockyards at Sheerness and Chatham from a perceived French naval threat during a period of tension in the 1850s.

Rapid improvements to artillery technology in the mid-19th century meant that the tower was effectively obsolete as soon as it had been completed. A proposal to turn it into a case mated fort was dropped for being too expensive. By the end of the 19th century the tower had gained a new significance as a defence against raids by fast torpedo boats. It was used in both the First and Second World Wars, when its fabric was substantially altered to support new quick-firing guns. It was decommissioned in 1956 and remains derelict today. The tower has been privately owned since 2005 and was reportedly sold to a new owner in 2014 for £400,000.

The Explore
I still can't believe I have never bothered visiting here after 22 years of living locally to it I thought it had to be done, great little slice of history lumped out on the water. While I was inside taking pictures I lost track of time and suddenly started to hear water splashing, oh sh*t balls :eek: I went outside and yes thats right I was stuck. Thank god I remembered the essentials, cider. cider and more cider. A few hours in just chilling on my camping chair I got a call from @woody1112 and @Porker of the night saying they were on the shore and had a boat at the ready. It was like something out of a comedy sketch watching them both rock up ors waving and all, I was in stitches, made my night completely. Chilled and finished up the bevs, rude not to and set off back to shore, memories made.

On to the pictures

2F_zpsxfufilzo.jpg

3F_zpsktwhlr8d.jpg

4F_zpsienmosof.jpg

5F_zpswztav35i.jpg

14F_zpsde0sl0d0.jpg

13F_zpslikxwaji.jpg

6F_zpskvhzyqpb.jpg

15F_zpsjutdatsp.jpg

16F_zpsusejskkg.jpg

8_zpsc34eone2.jpg

9_zpszlnzohxt.jpg

10_zpsibnwy2jl.jpg

19F_zpseeczeiyi.jpg

20F_zpsao8tjsot.jpg

21F_zps4is2huqw.jpg

17F_zpsdsb5lx1f.jpg

Thanks for having a ganders :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Boat rescue FTW..nice snaps mate lucky for you the lads had a plan of rescue :D

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tide & time wait for no Man ;)

Nice too see mate :thumb

Always like the look of these places & i can"t believe it"s not covered in :turd Graff" considering it"s accessibility to shore.