real time web analytics
Report - - Grängesberg, Sweden 2010 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grängesberg, Sweden 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

femaxer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a spare hour and took a small detour in my travels to Grängesberg. It was long known as the Klondike of Sweden due to it's high quality iron ore, which was mined in the area since the 16th century. Grängesbergsbolaget was the prime exporter of iron in the world and Swedens most profitable company. In the early 2000th century they started underground mining and by the seventies 4 million tons of iron ore was brought up every year. This resulted in the ground becoming very unstable, and in the late seventies the whole town had to be moved. Parts of the mine has since then collapsed and the mine was finally closed in 1990. The town of Grängesberg has suffered severely from this and several housing areas has been abandoned. Population has dropped to half of what it was in it's hayday.

On this trip I was short of time, daylight and also alone. To go into the closed off section of town I would like some company, since it is very dangerous, the ground and some buildings do collapse from time to time.

These pics are from the sixties housing project Skivbrytarvägen and from the old miners housing closer to the old center of the town. The old houses unfortunately are very closely boarded up and the snow is still very deep so hard to walk around each building and look for an entry.

But definitely worth a return trip when spring/summer comes.

x01.jpg

x02.jpg

x03.jpg

Noone lives here anymore.

x04.jpg

x05.jpg

x06.jpg

x07.jpg

Icy ceilings.

x08.jpg

x09.jpg

x10.jpg

Some fridge decorations.

x12.jpg

In the last apartment I went to, it seemed like someone might actually live there (hint coffee maker), even though there is no heating and temperature was below zero. Then again it looked very neat for a homeless person, but it seemed strange that only one apartment would have been left with furniture and appliances.

x20.jpg

19th century miners apartments.

x21.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details