real time web analytics
Report - - Gray Cancer Research Institute - Northwood - July 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gray Cancer Research Institute - Northwood - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stormtrooper.exe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The institute was founded as the Gray Laboratory at Mount Vernon Hospital by Louis Harold Gray in 1953 as the world's first radiobiological institute. It houses a unique Van de Graaff accelerator. Early research was mainly focused on the oxygen effect to improve the radio sensitivity of tumours. Research continued on this and other areas such as proton acceleration until the institute was relocated to Oxford in 2008.

The Explore
Myself and a friend being quite local to this place decided to check it out on an uneventful Sunday. The building itself is quite unassuming from the outside, and actually surprised me with how extensive the interior was.

All the windows and doors seemed to be grated, so we thought it best to see if roof access was possible. After a rather sketchy climb, we were relieved to find a viable entrance up there. The roof seems to house generators of some kind, these rooms were flooded though.

Heading inside the building, it was in quite a state. The walls and flooring especially had taken a beating, although considering it's been abandoned for 15 years, not awful. Desk, chairs and cabinets were all intact, and by some miracle there were almost untouched shelves full of textbooks and scientific journals.

The lower levels had a complete lack of light, and the ceilings had caved in causing all the wiring to spill out. Looked like something out of a Resident Evil game, would've been quite scared if I was by myself.

By far the most interesting find was the Van de Graaff accelerator. It was a little tricky to find, but worth the search.

All in all, day well spent.

The Pictures

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

DSC00811.JPG

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00838.JPG

DSC00842.JPG

DSC00856.JPG

DSC00865.JPG

The computers were older than me 😂

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

DSC00876.JPG

Apologies for the poor quality of some of the pictures, my DSLR decided to artificially brighten the darker shots

Thank you for reading! :)

DSC00875.JPG

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
History
The institute was founded as the Gray Laboratory at Mount Vernon Hospital by Louis Harold Gray in 1953 as the world's first radiobiological institute. It houses a unique Van de Graaff accelerator. Early research was mainly focused on the oxygen effect to improve the radio sensitivity of tumours. Research continued on this and other areas such as proton acceleration until the institute was relocated to Oxford in 2008.

The Explore
Myself and a friend being quite local to this place decided to check it out on an uneventful Sunday. The building itself is quite unassuming from the outside, and actually surprised me with how extensive the interior was.

All the windows and doors seemed to be grated, so we thought it best to see if roof access was possible. After a rather sketchy climb, we were relieved to find a viable entrance up there. The roof seems to house generators of some kind, these rooms were flooded though.

Heading inside the building, it was in quite a state. The walls and flooring especially had taken a beating, although considering it's been abandoned for 15 years, not awful. Desk, chairs and cabinets were all intact, and by some miracle there were almost untouched shelves full of textbooks and scientific journals.

The lower levels had a complete lack of light, and the ceilings had caved in causing all the wiring to spill out. Looked like something out of a Resident Evil game, would've been quite scared if I was by myself.

By far the most interesting find was the Van de Graaff accelerator. It was a little tricky to find, but worth the search.

All in all, day well spent.

The Pictures

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

DSC00811.JPG

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00838.JPG

DSC00842.JPG

DSC00856.JPG

DSC00865.JPG

The computers were older than me 😂

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

DSC00876.JPG

Apologies for the poor quality of some of the pictures, my DSLR decided to artificially brighten the darker shots

Thank you for reading! :)

DSC00875.JPG
Nice report we recently visited here was we'll surprised when we came across the generator