real time web analytics
Report - - Graylingwell Asylum, Chichester, Sept 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Graylingwell Asylum, Chichester, Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,

Introduction

This was the third site I visited with others on our south-east road trip, and it’s a place I’ve wanted to visit for a very long time. We also met up with Ali_Explores, Vmlopes and… damn I forgot :(

The asylum conforms to the compact arrow plan and was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield; and was the only asylum he designed. The asylum was built in 1897 during the zenith of asylum construction and demonstrates great attention to detail with some lovely examples of stone and woodwork. I particularly liked the carved wooden doors and porticos designed to conceal the fire-hoses in every ward, something which most architects didn’t even bother to consider.
The buildings of Graylingwell are much larger and grander than any other asylum I’ve visited, the ceilings are visibly higher and the isolation cells are clearly larger. Other asylums seem tucked away, yet Graylingwell has a tangible presence and appears to dominate the grounds rather than blend in.

b0794b22.jpg

7a1fdbef.jpg

The fire-hose cabinet:
70d317ea.jpg

A concealed hand basin, yet another nice detail:
afa175cc.jpg

2619d16a.jpg

b5c4ec9f.jpg

a4a2a256.jpg

3047bce1.jpg

a53f4fc2.jpg

4ee05944.jpg