real time web analytics
Report - - Graylingwell Asylum, Sussex, October 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Graylingwell Asylum, Sussex, October 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

2wid

ratamahatta
28DL Full Member
This report should be rather titled - Bye Bye Graylingwell.. Demolition is in the full swing and i perhaps shouldn't have gone in the middle of the week :) Place is crawling with workers, they are knocking the hall at the moment so i didn't take any pictures of it but could only see the red curtains from the distance, as one of the walls is already gone [first three pictures are in fact made from the top of it and projector room (completely stripped as well)] most of the buildings to the west of the hall is already gone or cleaned inside.

Nonetheless a good day out, i had fun dodging the workers all day, nearly went to the temporary office somewhere close to the hall :p Haven't seen security at all, so the situation must be similar to the Stone House at the moment.

Big up to the young filmmakers i met in the first building :thumb

history: Graylingwell Asylum in Chichester, East Sussex was founded in 1894 then finally opened in 1897.

During World War I the hospital closed temporarily and was used as a base by the Military. The patients were evacuated to other southern asylum’s. On return to civilian use plans were put in place for additional buildings to the main hospital. These buildings included an admission hospital which was to be known as Summersdale, a nurses home to be known as Pinewood, a building for female tuberculosis patients and a female convalescent home and also a home for female working patients.

Graylingwell was taken over by the N.H.S in 1948 by which time it could hold in excess of one thousand patients. The hospital was eventually wound down and in 2003 finally shut its doors. The site is now known as 9 College Lane rather than Graylingwell Asylum and is now being renovated into a site for new housing. [taken from the ghosthunterz website]

01a-3.jpg

01b.jpg

02-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

05-2.jpg

06-2.jpg

07-1.jpg

08-1.jpg

09-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

10-1.jpg