real time web analytics
Report - - Graylingwell Hospital, Chichester - 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Graylingwell Hospital, Chichester - 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Inspired by this weekends antics, I thought I would post an old one instead ;) Visited with @Disco Kitten on one chilly morning back in 2011.

Graylingwell was the hospital that sat on the edge of consciousness as it was always sealed and rarely seen. Only a few very dedicated people have made it in over the years and even then they only got to see a snapshot (normally the hall). Climbing onto the roof was the only way as each and every thing in the place was screwed shut, and the every trusty tunnels were limited by the amount of exit points. Even with conversion that slowly moved through the site it still stumped people, including me. PIRs and a few cameras sprung up around the perimeter - I can vouch for the PIRs being live as I stumbled into one on a fail trip, only to watch security take a look round a short while after.

The site itself is in an odd condition for somewhere that has sat half disused for nearly a decade. One side was converted to offices and was seemingly being looked after by the contractors prior to demolition. The other side was shut and left to sit, and is in fairly good condition as a result of the attentive security guards. The kitchens were in the worst state as the roof was damaged and the hall had seen better days (I still cannot understand why it was demolished. I would comment on the laundry, but some bugger ripped through it and left a pile of rubble when we finally arrived.

It took three trips to finally make it inside so excuse the amount of photos. It was a good day out, with some fun times being spent down in the tunnels trying to figure our way around!

History here: http://www.thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/sites/asylums/west-sussex-county-asylum-graylingwell-hospital

graylingwell016.jpg

Photos:

Wards

graylingwell030.jpg

graylingwell049.jpg

Cool window bench seat, bet this has been removed now

graylingwell031.jpg

37496931180_0807d4b8fe_b.jpg
Double stacked corridor
graylingwell033.jpg

37755223531_bf5758d6f8_b.jpg
Stores (I think)

graylingwell057.jpg
23902354168_bdfbafa2e4_b.jpg

A sign I wish I owned

graylingwell060.jpg

More corridor

graylingwell062.jpg

Kitchens / Services

graylingwell069.jpg

graylingwell068.jpg
37084927173_3ea58f33f5_z.jpg

graylingwell070.jpg

The Hall - one of the best ones I have seen.

graylingwell089.jpg

graylingwell074.jpg

graylingwell073.jpg

graylingwell071.jpg

graylingwell079.jpg

Last edited:

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Nice one mate, wish I’d made the effort with this one if only for the hall.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Same with Bodmin. In fact the whole place was very similar. Good security, not much to see other than the hall which then got demo'd. I got some enamel signs out the tunnels tho so cant complain lol..

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Same with Bodmin. In fact the whole place was very similar. Good security, not much to see other than the hall which then got demo'd. I got some enamel signs out the tunnels tho so cant complain lol..

Gotta love an enamel sign! I am amazed that the ECT sign remained for so long...

It's amazing how simple the security was at Graylingwell; just two attentive guards and a bucket of screws. They were also smart enough to screw everything from the wrong side lol.

Didn't Bodmin have the talc trick on the floor?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Gotta love an enamel sign! I am amazed that the ECT sign remained for so long...

It's amazing how simple the security was at Graylingwell; just two attentive guards and a bucket of screws. They were also smart enough to screw everything from the wrong side lol.

Didn't Bodmin have the talc trick on the floor?

Bodmin had PIRs on every corner of the corridors originally but as time went on batteries ran out and they used to just rely on routine patrols. Like speed says Bodmin only really had the hall (what a hall it was) and perhaps here had a bit more.

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
love your photos of graylingwell ...bought back some memories as i worked there for a time ...

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
There were some much older ECT signs in Severalls's Myland Court back in the day. Somone got them eventually but it wasn't me

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
There were some much older ECT signs in Severalls's Myland Court back in the day. Somone got them eventually but it wasn't me

I loved Myland Court, it was a mystery that so many people didn't bother with it.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Graylingwell was a difficult one, even with a gutted shell they were on the ball and turn up quickly once the PIR's had gone off.
Nicely complete, with farm buildings and the remains of the actual well... a few years back now.

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
i only ever did one part of this and that was the gourden buildings - a few weeeks later it was delmosed don't think anything left standing now :( i was in the area for 3 year and watch it come down bit by bit and turn into houses.

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details