real time web analytics
Report - - Great Bridge and Eagle Lane Railway Sidings - Feb 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Great Bridge and Eagle Lane Railway Sidings - Feb 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

amazedabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The station was built in 1850 and served by the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became London and North Western Railway)and in 1923 became London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the station shared the name Great Bridge with its Great Western Railway counterpart built in 1866. North was appended to the name of the station just after nationalization.

Passenger usage declined in the early 1880s, and the line became mainly freight in 1887. It remained open for goods traffic as the district became highly industrialized in the heyday of the Black Country's industrial past. Local industry declined after World War II and road transport became more common. British Rail closed the station to passengers through the Beeching Axe in 1964, but it continued as a freight station for local factories until 1972. Goods trains continued to pass through the site of the station until 1993. By that date no sign of the station or the goods yard remained. It is now derelict and mostly fenced off.

A £1,100,000/15-year-long regeneration project is expected to re-open the closed section of railway through Dudley as a combined Midland Metro tramway with a separate heavy rail line for goods trains. The old station site is earmarked as the location of a Midland Metro stop on the local tram network's second line between Walsall, Dudley Port railway station, Dudley railway station and the Merry Hill Shopping Centre.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Mini nut

My local and favourite, gone.
Banned
Can`t think why I haven`t done this. I know it`s there and it`s about a mile away!

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There’s abandoned train lines and tunnels in Dudley too and train tracks in Tipton as well just letting you know

Mini nut

Banned
There’s abandoned train lines and tunnels in Dudley too and train tracks in Tipton as well just letting you know
Indeed, I have seen them but never got round to walking them. The nearest is the last stretch to Dudley and I did go up on the bridge that spans the canal here, fenced off both sides.

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Indeed, I have seen them but never got round to walking them. The nearest is the last stretch to Dudley and I did go up on the bridge that spans the canal here, fenced off both sides.
Ahh fair enough and the one In Dudley go far for few miles I think

Mini nut

Banned
Ahh fair enough and the one In Dudley go far for few miles I think
Where the line passes under the road with the Black country Living Museum on it the tracks have been lifted but return again on the run up to Dudley Tunnel. Why they just lifted that short section I can`t think.

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah
Where the line passes under the road with the Black country Living Museum on it the tracks have been lifted but return again on the run up to Dudley Tunnel. Why they just lifted that short section I can`t think.
ah well I’m just telling u about when I went 8 months ago and went to the school in Dudley and the tunnels and train tracks but apparently they are soon to become part of the new metro system

Mini nut

Banned
I saw a vid about that on youtube. The chappie proposing it said that it would be more convenient and quicker than buses. I`m not contradicting anything you have said, just my findings on Google Earth. There is also a good vid showing a walk through the tunnel and the majority of the track is still in situ.

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I saw a vid about that on youtube. The chappie proposing it said that it would be more convenient and quicker than buses. I`m not contradicting anything you have said, just my findings on Google Earth. There is also a good vid showing a walk through the tunnel and the majority of the track is still in situ.
Ah that’s really cool well I heard that off a friend btw so yeah it would be good to use it rather than being left and disused