real time web analytics
Question - - Great Tew Manor - Has it been demolished? | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Great Tew Manor - Has it been demolished?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So came across this awesome place whilst doing a bit of research and read up on a bunch of reports posted here, most recently being from 2017. I'm planning a trip into England at some point and have been gathering locations to visit but when I found this place via satellite, it appears that it's been demolished. From what I can see, only the outlining walls of the building remain and I'm 90% sure it's the right location, shape and size to be the manor.

Are there any local explorers in the area that can tell me if it has actually been demolished or if I'm just looking in the wrong place. If I am then fuck it, no big deal. Easy enough to continue the search but I would like to try and spare myself a wasted trip if it's gone for good.

If it truly has been demolished, it's a sad sight indeed as this place looks spectacularly beautiful.

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think you're looking at the tennis courts! The house is just slightly north of those.

There was a news article about a proposed development and restoration just a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ing-homes-benefit-public-restoring-manor.html (sorry, I said news but it's actually the Daily Mail!)
Ah yeah I've just found it, thank you for the heads up too. Not sure what I was looking at (directly south of the manor) but might be worth an explore too, if only to figure out wtf it was. Typically, I pick the worst time to look for these places but I suppose there's still time to explore if he still has to wait for the council to give the go-ahead.

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
They are currently filming the audience sections of The Grand Tour on the estate. We drove through on Sunday and it was bedlam with subtle TGT signs helpfully placed by the AA.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It won't get demolished as its a highly listed building.

The guy who lives in the sectioned off 'apartment' inside the house has never been that bothered about people going into the main bulk of the house, but the owners of the estate live in the smaller house directly behind it.

Used to be a walk in but not sure what the current situation is there.

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It won't get demolished as its a highly listed building.

The guy who lives in the sectioned off 'apartment' inside the house has never been that bothered about people going into the main bulk of the house, but the owners of the estate live in the smaller house directly behind it.

Used to be a walk in but not sure what the current situation is there.
Thanks for the heads up. I did think it was odd that it'd be demolished, thankfully I was wrong! Is it worth perhaps (in true non urbex fashion) asking the owners of the house for permission to enter? Seems a bit lame but I do have great respect for these buildings and it's high on the list

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They are currently filming the audience sections of The Grand Tour on the estate. We drove through on Sunday and it was bedlam with subtle TGT signs helpfully placed by the AA.
An awesome urbex and Clarkson all in one day - now that's a trip worth taking!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Thanks for the heads up. I did think it was odd that it'd be demolished, thankfully I was wrong! Is it worth perhaps (in true non urbex fashion) asking the owners of the house for permission to enter? Seems a bit lame but I do have great respect for these buildings and it's high on the list

That'd result in an instant denial, they have become aware in the past of people going into the house and as it's in such a bad way in places there is no way you'd ever get permission now.

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That'd result in an instant denial, they have become aware in the past of people going into the house and as it's in such a bad way in places there is no way you'd ever get permission now.
I can understand that. It's always a gamble either way but if it's worked the old fashioned way in the past, it'll work again