real time web analytics
Great Tew Manor, Oxfordshire - July 2012 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Great Tew Manor, Oxfordshire - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
A beautiful place. I visited with Eeka on a superbly sunny day last July and it’s one of my favourites.

Built around 1730 and extended in 1834 and 1856.

Shortly after the First World War the owner died intestate and the house was left empty until the 60s.

A further period of neglect in the 80s has left most of the house uninhabitable.

Restoration has started but little progress seems to have been made.

As well as the architecture, we spent over an hour looking at paperwork, account books, payroll and bills dating back over 100 years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

One more of that window
18.jpg

19.jpg

Thanks for looking​

Madoc

28DL Member
28DL Member
A beautiful place. I visited with Eeka on a superbly sunny day last July and it’s one of my favourites.

Built around 1730 and extended in 1834 and 1856.

Shortly after the First World War the owner died intestate and the house was left empty until the 60s.

A further period of neglect in the 80s has left most of the house uninhabitable.

Restoration has started but little progress seems to have been made.

As well as the architecture, we spent over an hour looking at paperwork, account books, payroll and bills dating back over 100 years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

One more of that window
18.jpg

19.jpg

Thanks for looking​
Hi Yorrick. I am researching Great Tew and trying to find out which companies were involved in the restoration work in the 1960s. I notice in your post that you say you spent an hour looking at paperwork and bills. Do you remember the names of any of the companies or could you let me know how you got access to this paperwork. Any help gratefully recieved. [email protected]

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Stunning place and great set. Looks like restoration started then stopped...

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I am researching Great Tew and trying to find out which companies were involved in the restoration work in the 1960s. I notice in your post that you say you spent an hour looking at paperwork and bills.

If I recall it was all much older than 1960, more like 1890 Farm ledgers etc, but there may have been more recent stuff that we missed.

or could you let me know how you got access to this paperwork

The basis of this hobby is civil trespass. We entered the building through an existing opening, without permission, and bumbled around taking photos.

You could try contacting the owner?

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Yeah, me and @Idavoll were one of the last few to get in here before it got well and truly locked up. Word on the street is that the family have bought the place back and are now in full renovation mode.

If work has now stopped, that makes things interesting... Deffo need to go back and get some more shots, could of easily spent 5 or 6 hours in there.