real time web analytics
Report - - Greenbank Synagogue, Liverpool Sept 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greenbank Synagogue, Liverpool Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks to Telf, for inviting me along on this trip and also to Dangle Angle, Lavino and their Younguns for the good company, I was heartened to see youngsters walking around the places that we visited today taking photographs with their own cameras and showing such an interest in the history.

Having failed here once before I was glad to be going back to have another look, I know that it has been done to death and so I wont post too many images and mostly I was interested in the smaller details.

some history from Wiki
Built in 1937 The art-deco building is the work of the notable Liverpool architect Sir Ernest Alfred Shennan. Most of his other work is also in Merseyside and comprises a diversity of building types. His inter-war designs included Westminster Banks; five cinemas including the listed Forum Cinema on Lime Street, Liverpool; restaurant interiors (The French Cafe and Arabic Cafe, both 1933, Liverpool); dance halls (The Grafton Rooms, Liverpool, 1934); hotels and office blocks. Greenbank Drive is Shennan’s only synagogue and is very different to the rest of his oeuvre up to that time which, apart from the banks, was distinctive art deco.

The Synagogue was listed in 1983, but that listing was upgraded to a Grade II* after closure in 2008 thanks to pressure by the Twentieth Century Society. It was once the largest expanse of roof unsupported by pillars anywhere in the country. The synagogue has received a substantial redevelopment grant and is on all those Heritage At Risk lists.

According to the C20 Society, The Synagogue is architecturally by far the most important and innovatory 20th century synagogue in England and is the finest surviving synagogue in Europe dating from the inter-war period. It also has important socio-historic significance as representing a last late optimistic cultural expression of European Jewry before the holocaust.

One of the main building, and it is impressive

Some steps that went into the basement dance hall

35141117686_9303a5f7c1_c.jpg

note the really impressive arches in the ceiling and the gorgeous chandeliers

35050604441_4a71af6f76_c.jpg

This is what they look like from above, here the main arc of the ceiling
35016298932_64c72d0e5b_c.jpg

Here the main arc with some window arches
35180817655_59c2c2d30e_c.jpg

This is for winding down one of the chandeliers to change the Bulbs..think only fools and horses
35016301602_3eed970205_c.jpg

One of the lovely chandeliers
34336381624_bdfd797679_c.jpg

This is when to turn up
35180803375_78c72e38fc_c.jpg

This is were to put your mulah
35141115466_230070b800_c.jpg

The foyer
34336379724_8e9805402d_c.jpg

reserved seat
34336382754_17245b38dc_c.jpg

Keeping those carpets tight
34794599180_6d1c3a6b6d_c.jpg

switch in the office
35141117076_c916413749_c.jpg

cheers for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Great report Kwan some very interesting shots there. Was a good morning there hope see you again soon.:thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for the comments and Lavino, I will give you a shout about doing a mine :)
Paul, we did find the largest log in the basement, if it was yours mate you must have had to lower it by hand because it was massive, Telf commented how thick it was and I had to agree it was unusually thick and that whoever curled this one off must have a ring piece the diameter of an exhaust pipe.. to use a nautical term, was probably used to loading cargo Aft, not just unloading it :D

Last edited:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers for commenting Lenston and TLR, the roof space is really quite nice and technically very complicated but deffo lovely from beneath.

Last edited:

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey there matey, love the shots and report....not changed that much over the years....looks like you guys had some fun :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice to see you back posting again mate, and you have come back with some fine shots too :thumb
Cheers Young Zero :D I have got so much on my plate lately that I aint done much of anything TBH, but shit man I cant tell you about having a full plate...I hope that everything is going great and that inspector Gadget is looking after you :thumb