real time web analytics
Report - - Greenfield/Yeomen Hey Reservoir Outfalls - Saddleworth - April 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greenfield/Yeomen Hey Reservoir Outfalls - Saddleworth - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Greenfield/Yeomen Hey Reservoir Outfalls - Saddleworth

a10_zpsccilbvm7.jpg

History

Both the culverts visited are outfalls for Greenfield Reservoir and flow into Yeoman Hey Reservoir. The first one was a 4ft RCP, which had a couple of dog legs and a nice 30 degree slope to finish. The second one is a lot larger, rectangular in profile. Neither being that long, probably both each being 250ft long.

Greenfield and Yeoman Hey Reservoirs are situated in Saddleworth; a parish of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in Greater Manchester. Lying within the historic boundaries of the West Riding of Yorkshire, above the village of Greenfield. It is on the edge of the Peak District National Park, near the A635 road on Saddleworth Moor. The reservoir is fed by the Greenfield Brook and is above the Yeoman Hey Reservoir, which in turn feeds into Dovestone Reservoir.

Ashton Stalybridge and Dukinfield Waterworks Joint Committee's reservoir scheme in the Greenfield Valley commenced in 1870. Yeoman Hey Reservoir was completed in 1880; on its margin is a commemorative stone laid by the King of Tonga in 1981.

My Visit

Not and epic explore, but a very enjoyable Saturday stroll with my youngest daughter. We had a look down the larger culvert last year and said we would return for the smaller one. Both daughters have been for strolls with me in the past, but this was the first time with their own camera and was great to show her the dark art of light painting as well as being in a drain.

1a_zpscw7ile8e.jpg

It was a bit of a stoop, but there were plenty of frogs and European Cave spiders to look at on the way through.

a2_zpstganhfi5.jpg

4ft rolled concrete pipe isn't the most interesting drain, but it did have a couple of dog legs and we didn't know where it would actually go, it was longer than I had thought!

a3_zps7oqfyxpx.jpg

This is descending a nice 30 degree slope, I'd left her at the top to check we could get out the end if we descended and that it was possible to get back up. I have seen grilled terminations to these outfalls which are not good if you can't retrace your steps.

a5_zpscvhhifzm.jpg

Looking down the slope, a couple of frogs are just to the left of the water course, they soon bailed when they saw us.

a4_zps5ug8kvhd.jpg

The next outfall is far bigger and a nice place to play around with long exposure shots and a bit of light painting.

a6_zpsmgzcal6q.jpg

A large rectangular outfall.

a7_zpsalfjkign.jpg

I do like these places to play around with the camera settings, I'm sure it won't be too long until my daughter is teaching me what to do too!

a8_zpsntwzk6hy.jpg

Well that's it, the end of this outfall, a nice bit of graffiti and a grand wee stroll.

a9_zpsgxvo7ozn.jpg

Cheers,

TLR.​

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
good stuff, I hope she manages to keep her camera out of the drink :D

She managed a St Lukes tripod fail/fall, think it's even the same camera too! Learning my bad habits and how to make cameras bounce.

Last edited:

SOA

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent and even better being a family explore! My wee Mollie is only 9 weeks this Tuesday and i have already been telling her what she has to look forward to with her dad :)

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Excellent and even better being a family explore! My wee Mollie is only 9 weeks this Tuesday and i have already been telling her what she has to look forward to with her dad :)

Look forward to seeing her first report :thumb

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I'm not one to generally bump an old post will make an exception as earlier this year I visited this outfall and realised I had seen it before thanks to TLR.
It would appear that the finger is now peeling off the wall.
IMG_2500.JPG