real time web analytics
Report - - Greengate Baths, collier street, Salford, 14.02.14 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greengate Baths, collier street, Salford, 14.02.14

wombler

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first ever post and first semi-documented solo explore for a long time
im only recently getting back into the swing of things and dont have alot of spare time. so even though i didnt get chance to properly document you can clearly see how much has changed since previous reports.. such a shame this building has been left to rot like this.

The long-disused Collier Street Baths in Greengate, Salford, which date back to 1856. It was here that Mark Addy – the publican whose repeated heroic rescues of people from the River Irwell saved over 50 lives – learned to swim.

The Collier Street Baths were erected at the start of a golden age of swimming pool building, which lasted until the First World War.

By the middle of the 19th century, public health legislation had prompted the building of public bathing houses in an attempt to keep the booming population in this dirty industrial area clean. Swimming pools followed in the hope of further improving the health of the nation.

Greengate Baths (Collier Street) Salford was founded on the original site of the Salford Union Workhouse and was opened in 1856 by the Manchester and Salford Baths & Laundries Company. The building was designed by a local architect Thomas Worthington. Over half the original building has been demolished and what remains is Grade II listed and on the English Heritage Buildings At Risk Register.

P1050431_zps2c67fdc0.jpg

View of Collier Street from Trinity Way

P1050430_zpscf3066a8.jpg

Front of building

P1050432_zps496456f9.jpg

Side of building as seen from Trinity Way

P1050429_zps3debdb69.jpg

Other side of building

P1050428_zps44352b08.jpg

Side and rear of building

P1050435_zpsd6623757.jpg

Internal view

P1050434_zps43d39350.jpg

Internal view of where scafolding goes to die!

thankyou for taking the time to read my post

Last edited: