real time web analytics
Report - - Greyfriars Church, Aberdeen - August 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greyfriars Church, Aberdeen - August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A recent solo mooch, one I have been meaning to tick off for a while. Given its close proximity to the police station it is one I kept putting off as it was never the right time of day whenever I was in the area. Took a couple of attempts, first one the police collared me as one of their cars returned to base and they spotted me sneak round the back so I was promptly told to fuck off, so I went back the following morning and got it done. Church wasn't overly amazing inside, some really nice features but the pews had been removed and sections of flooring pulled up by archaeologists during a dig in 2017, but the views up top made it worthwhile.

History:

The original Greyfriars Collegiate Church was built in 1532 by Franciscan monks and lay at right angles and to the North of the present church, along Broad Street. It was incorporated into Marischal College, which was founded in 1593. The college was rebuilt between 1837-41 and further extended between 1893-97. It was this extension along Broad Street which caused the original collegiate Church to be demolished and after much negotiation between the Town Council, Church and University, Marshall Mackenzie built this replacement in the same Perpendicular Gothic Style as the college extension. It formed an integral part of the whole site.

A Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933) was a Scottish architect of national repute. Although mainly associated with building in the North-East of Scotland, he also received the prestige of a Royal Commission in 1895 when asked to build the new Mar Lodge outside Braemar for Queen Victoria's grand-daughter, the Duchess of Fife. His output includes many significant public buildings in Aberdeen including The Harbour Offices and Aberdeen Art Gallery

Some more in depth history with old pics can be found here - http://mcjazz.f2s.com/GreyfriarsKirk.htm

t0kwZyMh.jpg

A4B4VVjh.jpg

g9Uc9eqh.jpg

aL17Haqh.jpg

iwvAJFoh.jpg

MaqMiWIh.jpg

l6ajKXyh.jpg

LhVYbHPh.jpg

xvlUhhCh.jpg

qMmSqP4h.jpg

And the bit that I like the most

nGBtCn0h.jpg

L54FkOwh.jpg

A few phone shots up top as I couldn't be bothered climbing any further with all of my gear.

cHcQKJ3h.jpg

Told you it was close to the police station! :p

iQZwbErh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Good effort, I thought it looks nice inside and don't think I've seen it crop up before :thumb

Keep on looking for places North of the border for my drive to work, not sure it's proximity to the police station means it makes my list as the last thing I'd need is a night in the cells charged with breach of the peace ;)

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Rather noice that. Always great when determination pays off, especially for something as large and central at this :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 142) View details