Web
Analytics
Report - - Grim Resistor, Bolton - 2014. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grim Resistor, Bolton - 2014.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Grim Resistor, Bolton

Grim is an understatement!

Essentially a 2m x 300m sewer/in-line storage tunnel constructed to alleviate flood risk and take strain off the nearby trunk

Much of Bolton's drainage is fairly small and stoopy and I imagine struggled during heavy periods of rainfall until they stuck this and a few other tanks in during AMP3

After an earlier evening re-visit fail I'd organised, I felt kinda guilty the lads would end up going empty handed so I decided to go and hunt this place down as we were in the area

I had an approximate idea where it was and narrowed it down to a plot near the river

Our 3 car convoy lapped the outskirts of Bolton whilst I fiddled with Google maps, parking ? No problem lads.. follow me

..Straight into the yard of the Police HQ :D

A few U-turns later and we were back on the trail of fresh, it had also been a few weeks since I'd had time to venture into the sewers and had to make do with sniffing manholes for a quick fix

"I think were here lads"

1.jpg

After some past disagreeable outings, it's took a while to get kenni back into drains, this probably wasn't the best place for him with hindsight :D

Still it was a good laugh from start to finish, and despite the filth we all managed a few safety snaps of the place before calling it

A 12m laddered dropshaft with a couple of landings drops into the filth

2.jpg

3.jpg

Once down, I spent what seemed like an age faffing about with the p00p covered chain, whilst the others looked down from the landing above with amusement

A short set of rungs beyond leads to the sewer tunnel, and as you can see in the below pic, it's not somewhere you'd choose to eat your dinner :rolleyes:

4.jpg

Barely a 1ft sewer is routed through the drop shaft and exits via this shit hole

5.jpg

I waited for the others to head down before going for a wander

I'm surprised the meter didn't sing in here as it stunk to high heaven, and although H2S was present, it was a safe level and was pretty well ventilated as I kept my eye on on the readings with every step

Infact, the only real noise was the sound of kenni gipping to every footstep :D

Grim

6.jpg

At the far end, and somewhere amongst this mess, below the bottom of another manhole shaft the sewer exits via a 2ft pipe

7.jpg

8.jpg

Shouts to @Nickindroy @ViralEye @Snake Oil @Kenni for persevering with this one, we won't be going back here in a hurry!​

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Grim sure enough, at least it sounded like a quality outing :D

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I remember this one very clearly. It was the most disgusting section of sewer I have ever been in!
Some of the clothes I wore that night just went straight in the bin and those shite infested railings are something one can never forget.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Being from notlob this one interests me, but I can't for the life of me recall seeing the outfall to the nearby river itself? I do recall a grey raised structure, near the small footbridge, but no rcp outfalling to the river,unless this was all built while I have been away?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Being from notlob this one interests me, but I can't for the life of me recall seeing the outfall to the nearby river itself? I do recall a grey raised structure, near the small footbridge, but no rcp outfalling to the river,unless this was all built while I have been away?
It’s a sewer/storage tunnel, no outfall