real time web analytics
Report - - Grimsby Ice Factory, Grimsby, May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grimsby Ice Factory, Grimsby, May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
A few years ago I read a report by Speed about this place then a one by TLR some time later… I remember thinking I really should get myself down to Grimsby to have a wander, as it seemed exactly the type of place I like to visit.
However, as with a lot of these mental notes of “really must go there sometime†kind of plans, it always got put on the back burner until eventually forgotten.
I noticed it recently came up again in a couple of reports, which renewed my initial interest enough to finish work one evening and drive the couple of hours down for a closer look. To me, it seemed an awesome building close-up, and after a couple of PM’s to TLR (thanks! And by the way, I never saw any ‘little white men’ thankfully!) I was really pleased I had made the effort to go down.
The return visit saw a completely different entry to what I had previously planned, but suffice to say, we were nearly fair kicking ourselves on its simplicity… and why we hadn’t spotted it before.
Years on from all the initial explores, time and weather have certainly taken its toll on the place, (we went when it was pouring down, and it made me wonder how many more downpours and heavy winds can that roof really take?) but it still is fabulous place to visit.
Visited with Sed and Stranton, much thanks to you both.

History bit from English Heritage: -
The Great Grimsby Ice Company Factory was built in 1901. Its purpose was to supply ice to preserve fish on its journey from the deep sea fishing grounds to the nation’s plates.
It is essentially a brick shelter for the ice-making machines, but typically of the Victorians, some pride was taken in the brickwork to the Gorton Street entrance, and tiny details still survive such as the initials of the Great Grimsby Ice Factory cast into the end plates of supporting beams in the tanks house walls.
The factory first used steam to power the Pontiflex (and later Linde) Ammonia compressors which made the ice. As demand for ice increased, two more tank rooms were added between 1907 and 1910.
In 1930, a modernisation programme began. Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester was commissioned to provide new electric generators. J. & E. Hall of Dartford, Kent won the contract to replace the refrigeration equipment.
The factory expanded once more in the early 1950’s, with a seventh tank room being built. A decline in demand and changes in ice production technology led to down-scaling in 1976. The Ice Factory closed in 1990. But for the efforts of local activists, it would have been demolished soon afterwards.
English Heritage awarded a Grade II* listing to the Ice Factory. Its significance lies in the fact that it is the last surviving example of early ice-making equipment, still in place in its original place of work.

Apologies for lack of externals… I did try, but was approached by a security person who drove up in a car who said it was not allowed apparently, to take a photo of a building… :rolleyes:
but here’s one anyway.

GrimsbyIce068_zps68880187.jpg

GrimsbyIce064_zps3604c9e1.jpg

GrimsbyIce061_zpsae55bfd7.jpg

GrimsbyIce056_zps1d125a6c.jpg

GrimsbyIce054_zps090f4f5b.jpg

GrimsbyIce053_zpsb927feb8.jpg

GrimsbyIce050_zps4a914b55.jpg

GrimsbyIce048_zpsa80939a4.jpg

GrimsbyIce046_zpsabc2b45f.jpg

GrimsbyIce045_zps26219bac.jpg

GrimsbyIce043_zps56c0070a.jpg

GrimsbyIce042_zpsb388014d.jpg

GrimsbyIce039_zps08174655.jpg

GrimsbyIce035_zpsc7d2f26a.jpg

GrimsbyIce033_zps1fdcbef8.jpg

GrimsbyIce029_zps65a59fe3.jpg

GrimsbyIce027_zps51cf71fc.jpg

GrimsbyIce025_zps3d350db0.jpg

GrimsbyIce015_zps1226cb23.jpg

GrimsbyIce006_zpse3e13d0e.jpg

Cat.

d4nn3h

28DL Member
28DL Member
Fantastic photos. I live and work very close to this place but have never seen inside. It's a shame it hasn't been kept in a bit better condition, but ABP who own it haven't spend a penny on Grimsby dock for many years (apart from a new security hut thing), as you probably saw, the hole place is a bit of a dump. Part of the film Atonement was filmed in and around the ice factory.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Well done cat, glad you finally made it in and no encounters with the little white men ;)

Nice set of pics too :thumb

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
very nice pictures there, well done
such a shame the buildings been left too ruin.

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Very, very good! I love places like this - still full of old machinery.
Great job. I bet the mountains of poop really made the place stink?

LS

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great job Cat - that report has come out very well, and thanks for a really enjoyable day out. :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Thanks guys, it was certainly a great place to visit, just a shame its been left the way it has.