real time web analytics
Report - - Gros Ouvrage Billig - France - October 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gros Ouvrage Billig - France - October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Saul

Basterd
28DL Full Member
The Gros Ouvrage Billig became operational in 1935, it consisted of 7 fighting blocks and a mixed entry for munitions and hommes. Billig came under little direct attack but did fire 2030 75mm rounds, in one day, in support of another fort at Hackenberg. After the armistice with the Germans parts of the fort were used for explosives testing, a role that the US Army would also use it for after it was captured in 1944.

More history.

It's not the best Maginot fort I've visited but, there's some interesting things left. Visited with Rookinella.

BiM6_zps91ba67f7.jpg

BiM1_zps4f2ce5ea.jpg

BiM4_zps9bc25a97.jpg

BiM3_zpsb2cf4bfc.jpg

BiM2_zpsd8ff589d.jpg

BiM5_zps51532205.jpg

BiM7_zps007d4214.jpg

BiM8_zps0db3b7e7.jpg

BiM9_zps9db68d52.jpg

BiM11_zps5a48df72.jpg

BiM13_zpsd94a72cf.jpg

BiM10_zps080d24c6.jpg

BiM12_zps4ed3f7e5.jpg

BiM14_zpsa1e21dbd.jpg

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is the fort far from Hackenberg? I also visited the restored one at Hackenberg, just to see what it should be like when in service, even has the narrow gauge railway and one of the guns working. It is sad to see that the thieves have been in taking all the copper but smashing the generators and control boxes place up to get it out.

Saul

Basterd
28DL Full Member
Is the fort far from Hackenberg? I also visited the restored one at Hackenberg, just to see what it should be like when in service, even has the narrow gauge railway and one of the guns working. It is sad to see that the thieves have been in taking all the copper but smashing the generators and control boxes place up to get it out.

I'm not sure how far it is from Hackenberg geographically but, it's within range of a 75mm gun! I should really visit some of the restored ones next time I'm over there.