real time web analytics
Report - - Grotton Hollow Culvert – Saddleworth - January 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grotton Hollow Culvert – Saddleworth - January 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Grotton Hollow Culvert – Saddleworth

1_zpse7059730.jpg

Not too much history wise on this culvert, I was hoping it may have been constructed fully of stone or brick as there were a lot of mills in this area once upon a time and the housing development probably only dates from the 70’s.

250 meters long this culvert if for a tributary of the River Medlock, the initial 50 meters which run under a main road is constructed of stone. After this the culvert appears to have a rendered surface, reducing in diameter 3 times to terminate in a 3ft concrete pipe at the upper termination. The culvert can be accessed along it length by a few inspection chambers and man holes.

My Visit

After a quick visit to another location and getting my crown jewels wet, I decided it was too wet and cold to do anything like that in January, so bailed to take a look at this culvert as I knew there would be less water.

2_zpsb84caecb.jpg

Alas there was more water than I expected once I got inside, mostly due to the floor having been eroded away over the years. Even though I just had wellies I decided to persevere as I knew it wasn’t too long.

3_zpscaaa82b5.jpg

It turned out to be a nice wee culvert, nothing out of the ordinary but still pleasant to be in.

4_zpsc93c2107.jpg

6_zpsa02a9fc9.jpg

5_zps8f6ab6db.jpg

7_zps9056134a.jpg

8_zpse4a71f3f.jpg

At this point the diameter decreased to about 3ft, as it was interesting just standing up I left the camera in the dry and headed up until I could see light at the end of the tunnel.

9_zpsb7969a7d.jpg

After all I knew there was no way out at the upstream end, so made my way back to the start.

10_zpsc80d8479.jpg

Well that’s Grotton Hollow culvert, a lovely stroll and probably more pleasant with less water and not doing it in January, one day I may learn!

Cheers,

TLR.