real time web analytics
Report - - Groverake Fluorspar Mine, Rookhope, July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Groverake Fluorspar Mine, Rookhope, July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Groverake Fluorspar Mine, Rookhope, July 2014​

“Groverake mine was worked in the early years by the Beaumont company from about 1819 up until 1883, thereafter the Weardale Lead Company continued working the seams for some 33 years or so before the mine eventually ended up being worked for Fluorspar by British Steel - officially until 1983. The mine passed through several independent companies, including SamUK until its permanent closure in 1998.â€​

A site with a ‘bit of everything’ to appeal to explorers, underground / high stuff / buildings and a beautiful scenic location too. According to Dave, the site has gone a lot downhill since his visit from years back, but as with a lot of the sites we visit… time, natural decay and visits from the metal fairies all contribute to this. Evidence here would also point to ‘passing sheep’ to be part of that contribution too! I’m used to walking through pigeon crap, but sheep poop was a first for me!
Even though very stripped, the location alone makes this site a lovely little wander… especially when you’re in great company. Visited with Dave and Sed one rainy weekend. Cheers guys.

View into site
Groverake075_zps0c1a0cb1.jpg

First (shorter) drift
Groverake005_zpsdf9e5be4.jpg

Groverake009_zpsb209c5e0.jpg

sign outside drift
Groverake015_zpsadcf9914.jpg

Shaft building lift
Groverake003_zpscd85dfcc.jpg

Groverake001_zpsd3c40f32.jpg

Lockers and paperwork
Groverake027_zpsc9f822a9.jpg

Groverake018_zpsfc3bf72b.jpg

Winder house
Groverake065_zps74aff213.jpg

Second drift
Groverake029_zps83ab0609.jpg

Groverake031_zpsf0fb0580.jpg

Groverake044_zpsfcf4f3ca.jpg

Groverake036_zps98b45fb4.jpg

L-R, Catbalou, Dave, Sed.
Groverake043_zps52d77661.jpg

Winding tower
Groverake066_zpsdeaa0d22.jpg

Groverake052_zps1dbbb727.jpg

Winding wheels
Groverake057_zps86399137.jpg

View from the top of the tower, and Dave and Sed checking out the second shaft and lift below
Groverake058_zps9457840a.jpg

All in all, despite its decline.... it still is a great little site :)

Cat.

AuntieKnickers

inquisitive historian
28DL Full Member
It's a good place. You've got guts lass climbing the wheel when they've taken some of the ladders away.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for a splendid day out Cat and Sed i knew that you would both love this place despite its poor condition which really has gone downhill badly since my last visit still plenty still to see and you captured the place well. Incidentally the second and smaller headstock which went a number of years ago was supposedly carted off by metal thieves.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Superb, my parents have just moved up this way and was planning on visiting some of the mines in the area.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Thanks for a splendid day out Cat and Sed i knew that you would both love this place despite its poor condition which really has gone downhill badly since my last visit still plenty still to see and you captured the place well. Incidentally the second and smaller headstock which went a number of years ago was supposedly carted off by metal thieves.

was a great day, thanks for bringing the site to my attention. Yes, i did a bit of reading when i came back and heard about the smaller headstock being stolen... such a shame and quite scary how the second shaft is wide open.... not a place to wander around in the dark... considering you dropped that brick down the shaft and we counted a full 5-6 seconds before we heard it land! :eek:

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah, your pics came out great in the end despite the pouring rain for most of the day! A most enjoyable and relaxed explore - cheers guys. :)

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Nice one Cat, as you say a site with a bit of everything. Pigeon or Sheep ploop, which one do you prefer? :)

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Pigeon or Sheep ploop, which one do you prefer? :)

lol.. thats like 'the lesser of two evils' principle. Probably sheep poop, as it doesnt make you feel ill after breathing it in (but doesnt half stick to the little tripod feet!)