real time web analytics
Report - - Groverake Mine Rookhope Weardale June 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Groverake Mine Rookhope Weardale June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Had the place pinned for a while and after seeing some drone shots, I had to have a look.
You could get in the mine, however I don't have the right equipment, so didnt venture in.
However I did brave myself and climbed up the shaft, it was windy and I don't like heights, but I survived.

Abandoned Groverake Mine at Rookhope in Weardale, County Durham. The mine was originally worked for ironstone between 1819 and 1875, and later for lead, until the mine closed around 1919. In the 1930s the mine was reopened by Groverake Mining Company Ltd to extract fluorspar, the operation eventually in 1970 becoming a subsidiary of the British Steel Corporation. Purchased by the Weardale Mining & Processing Ltd in 1983, it was subsequently linked underground by a 2-ft gauge railway to the Fraser's Hush mine using a fleet of Wingrove & Rogers and Clayton battery-electric locomotives. The mine closed in 1999, the last working fluorspar mine operating in the North Pennines.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Been meaning to see this place for ages too, but always manage to forget when on the way to/from Scotland sadly.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the update sadly its a shadow of its former self. Not much left now though well done on getting to the top of the headstock deffo worth it for that alone. Can you still see the bottom of the shaft from the base of the headstock.

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the update sadly its a shadow of its former self. Not much left now though well done on getting to the top of the headstock deffo worth it for that alone. Can you still see the bottom of the shaft from the base of the headstock.
You can still see it mate, I hate Heights but decided to climb up it haha

Who has read this thread (Total: 147) View details