real time web analytics
General - - Groverake Quarry just a mooch about | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Groverake Quarry just a mooch about

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BigPhil

28DL Member
28DL Member
IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

View attachment 779774

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went a few months back and the fence was looking all nice and shiny but the gate was wide open. Unfortunately not much to look at but definitely worth stopping if you're driving past.

explorer62

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They've put a fence around it? Looks like they've demolished some of the buildings that were next to the headstock too :(

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Jesus, that's changed a bit from how I remember it, thanks for sharing :thumb

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One of the drifts is open or it was you can get down about 400 yards or so then its flooded if i remember. Mind the roof is very brittle and dangerous. The other drift has a blockage after a short distance it may be possible to get over it.

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went underground here a few times in 1989, just before Minworth (then owners) went bust. The actual mine workings were quite deep - then working the 340 level - though they had plans to go down to the Whin Sill. I have no idea how much deeper they got to before it was finally abandoned in 1999. It would appear that the wrecked buildings that housed the mine offices and change house have been cleared away.