real time web analytics
Report - - Grovesend Quarry, Tytherington - South Glos' - November 2013 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grovesend Quarry, Tytherington - South Glos' - November 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I finally got round to having a look at this quarry and paid it a couple of visits. It's a big site and having a good look around took some time, especially as I couldn't be sure if security was present or not. The quarries at Tytherington consist of three large excavations linked by short tunnels. The central pit has the crushing plant and silos, and the loader for the rail link.

My potted history has been gleaned from meagre scraps found on Google so take it all as hearsay.

The Tytherington Stone Company opened these quarries in 1880 and a rail link was built in 1888. Grovesend Quarry, the central one, was opened in 1902 due to the demand for stone to build the Royal Edward Dock at Avonmouth, and weekly output of 850 to 895 tons was taken by rail directly to Avonmouth. By 1990 weekly output was about 30,000 tons.

Ownership has changed between the Teign Valley Granit Company, Roads Reconstruction Ltd, Amey Roadstone, Consolidated Goldfields, and now Hanson Trust - part of the Heidelberg Cement Group.

It would be great if someone could correct or expand on this.:thumb

Blasting and limestone crushing has stopped and Hanson say they have mothballed the plant, but I can't imagine the older structures and machines being put to use again as they are under thick layers of stone dust and encroaching vegetation.
Hanson have made a "reasonable" job of securing some areas with locked or welded doors, but luckily not everywhere.
Security was reportedly stepped up earlier this summer when the flooded outer pits were swamped with youths enjoying the water. The central pit, which looks flooded in Google Earth, has been filled in at the bottom, where it has has become a limestone bog. There is only a little vandalism and graffiti at the moment, and I'm guessing that this is was done during the summer swimming sessions.

Turned out to be quite relaxed visits with no problems apart from the dust, and considerable amounts of pidgeon poo in the silos. so take precautions if you visit - theres plenty to see IMHO.

Untitled-a.jpg

Untitled-b.jpg

Untitled-c.jpg

Untitled-d.jpg

Untitled-e.jpg

Untitled-f.jpg

Untitled-g.jpg
Untitled-h.jpg

Untitled-i.jpg
Untitled-j.jpg

Untitled-k.jpg

Untitled-l.jpg