real time web analytics
Report - - Guest & Chrimes, Brass and Iron founders | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Guest & Chrimes, Brass and Iron founders

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Had a bad experience with the filth here about 3 months ago, been dying to get back there so imagine my dismay when I pulled up to find demolition in full swing!! I used thge old Dweeb charm on the foreman, who was refreshingly nice and gave me the run of the place!

Guest and Chrimes had been established well over 100 years, casting water fittings, pumps, and all manner of other castings for the transfer of liquids.
The foundry boasts fine office buildings (which thankfully are listed), a large casting shed, iron foundry, and associated buildings. One casting hall has gone, the other soon to follow.

The pattrn shop and stores was fantastic, still packed with patterns, some of which were of 1940/50's vintage. I was allowed to take as many as I wanted, so I saved a few of the nice ones! The pattern maker's shop was like stepping back in time. Pattern making was a skilled job which has been replaced nowadays, but that shop had remained unchanged for decades.

Upstairs was a store, still packed with boxes printed with long forgotten companys. It was here I found a superb catalogue for the foundry's wares from 1941.

All in all a top explore, and I'm glad I have recorded it (all be it on it's 11th hour) before it's swept away...

Nice old view of the works
GuestChrimes25.jpg

I think that is an impressive list of custmers!
GuestChrimes24.jpg

One of their finer products! Imagine finding one of those!
GuestChrimes23.jpg

GuestChrimes21.jpg

GuestChrimes22.jpg

GuestChrimes3.jpg

GuestChrimes.jpg

GuestChrimes17.jpg

GuestChrimes16.jpg

GuestChrimes15.jpg

An unused crucible... I'd have loved it in the garden with flowers in it!
GuestChrimes14.jpg

Pattern stores
GuestChrimes13.jpg

GuestChrimes12.jpg

GuestChrimes11.jpg

GuestChrimes10.jpg

GuestChrimes1.jpg

GuestChrimes-1.jpg

GuestChrimes9.jpg

I've stood in the hall where this was casted. I think it's funny when the produst of a defunct foundry is sitting in a defunct foundry!
GuestChrimes8.jpg

GuestChrimes7.jpg

The foundry's fine water tower
GuestChrimes6.jpg

GuestChrimes5.jpg

GuestChrimes4.jpg

GuestChrimes18.jpg

GuestChrimes19.jpg

GuestChrimes2.jpg

GuestChrimes20.jpg