real time web analytics
Report - - Guildford Chalk Mine - October 2009 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Guildford Chalk Mine - October 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with Tucker and Urban Junky.

Not much info except for a bit of regurgitated ramblings...

There are extensive, well-hidden passages in the chalk beneath and south of Guildford Castle. They represent quarries from which chalk was extracted for use in building (including the castle itself) and other activities. A large cave measuring 45 feet by 20 feet and 9 feet high leads into the various passages, some of which run as far as 120 feet in various directions. A perpendicular shaft sunk into them at one point seems, judging by the discolouration of the chalk, to have been a cess pit, perhaps associated with the gaol above. It has also been suggested that the caverns were used as stores for the Gascon wines which Henry III is known to have kept at Guildford.

At the bottom of the entrance steps...

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Shaft to the surface...

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
nice looking set of tunnels and I haven't heard of them before. Good effort :thumb

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Very nice mate. Does this one the prize for most delayed report ever?

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Interesting, I thought Guildford was built on Sandstone.

Thanks for sharing.

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I like the look of this one. Nice job getting the report up quick, too!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Very nice mate. Does this one the prize for most delayed report ever?

Well it's nearly as delayed as our admin actions :D

That said we stuck you on Other sites forum before 2016, so I think we've exceeded expectations for a change

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one OT. Good to see pictures of this local site to me, i had started to think that it didn't exist. May have to see about this:)

Paulct

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A year has now elapsed since the last post, I found this web site today with plans of the caves

This is the link it was hidden away in an earlier post, but it's broken.... terminally!!!

http://www.barq.org/caverns/

Most of it comes from a scanned contemporary article.

Paul

Last edited by Paulct; August 26th, 2011 at 14:02.