Web
Analytics
Report - - Guildford Shaft, Dover. February 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Guildford Shaft, Dover. February 2020

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Once again, my pal and I heard that the word round the campfire was that this location was accessible. Having only been here once before and my wingman never having experienced it, I set the wheels in motion. So, I called my pal, who was laying on his living room floor pissed as a fart. "You have 1 hour to sober up ya turd, I have a new location for you". An hour later and we were on route and soon inside this cracking place. After a while we thought security had entered the site, only to find it was another pair of explorers. Nice chaps, we wished them well and carried on taking some snaps before heading out. I love the brickwork in this place and was good to go back after so many years and this time with a pal.

Bit of history:
Guildford shaft links Henry VIII's Moats Bulwark, which clings to the lower cliff face, with the Castle above. The shaft begun in 1973 and in February 1795 was still under construction as a report from Lieutenant Bruyeres describes the arrangements for sinking a third shaft between the castle and Moats Bulwark. This is because Guildford shaft is in fact four shafts with 214 steps in total linked with tunnels. These tunnels were lighting passages onto the cliff face and had doors with firing slits for defence against an attack up the shaft. In this shaft there are circular stairs. During the second world war the connecting passages were lined with corrugated steel and appear to have become observation posts with new accommodation tunnels added behind them.

Till next time people

DSC_0060-02.jpeg
DSC_0048-02.jpeg
DSC_0064-02.jpeg
DSC_0061-01.jpeg
DSC_0053-02.jpeg
DSC_0040-01.jpeg
DSC_0056-02.jpeg
DSC_0044-02.jpeg
DSC_0058-01.jpeg
DSC_0062-02.jpeg
DSC_0072-01.jpeg
DSC_0076-03.jpeg

mikecawood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Once again, my pal and I heard that the word round the campfire was that this location was accessible. Having only been here once before and my wingman never having experienced it, I set the wheels in motion. So, I called my pal, who was laying on his living room floor pissed as a fart. "You have 1 hour to sober up ya turd, I have a new location for you". An hour later and we were on route and soon inside this cracking place. After a while we thought security had entered the site, only to find it was another pair of explorers. Nice chaps, we wished them well and carried on taking some snaps before heading out. I love the brickwork in this place and was good to go back after so many years and this time with a pal.

Bit of history:
Guildford shaft links Henry VIII's Moats Bulwark, which clings to the lower cliff face, with the Castle above. The shaft begun in 1973 and in February 1795 was still under construction as a report from Lieutenant Bruyeres describes the arrangements for sinking a third shaft between the castle and Moats Bulwark. This is because Guildford shaft is in fact four shafts with 214 steps in total linked with tunnels. These tunnels were lighting passages onto the cliff face and had doors with firing slits for defence against an attack up the shaft. In this shaft there are circular stairs. During the second world war the connecting passages were lined with corrugated steel and appear to have become observation posts with new accommodation tunnels added behind them.

Till next time people

View attachment 840619View attachment 840620View attachment 840621View attachment 840622View attachment 840623View attachment 840624View attachment 840625View attachment 840626View attachment 840628View attachment 840629View attachment 840630View attachment 840631
Excellent photos.

mikecawood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Bit of history:

Till next time people

View attachment 840619View attachment 840620View attachment 840621View attachment 840622View attachment 840623View attachment 840624View attachment 840625View attachment 840626View attachment 840628View attachment 840629View attachment 840630View attachment 840631
Excellent photos.