real time web analytics
Report - - Gunnislake Old Mine, Cornwall, 22/07/09 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gunnislake Old Mine, Cornwall, 22/07/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raddog

28DL Full Member
Gunnislake Old Mine was a mixed mine, where copper, tin and other minerals were all found in useable quantities. Since being abandoned in 1872 it's mainly sat there minding it's own business except for in 1992 when the backfill in one of the old shafts collapsed opening up a hole in someones garden.

We had a grid reference which turned out to probably be where the old collapsed shaft would have been. This meant we spent about half an hour climbing through woods and gardens before we met some legendary old couple, and the wife, knowing true mine explorers when she sees them, gave us directions that were absolutely spot on. She must have been down there yesterday!

The adit is flooded to knee deep at the entrance. Me & dweeb only had wellies, so first trip in for us was barefoot. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!

Awesome mine, awesome colours, a great finish to another great Cornish mine trip.

"Social Engineering" will get you everywhere...

b57b4a5b.jpg

...and we're in! dweeb climbs the hard way

8077f8b6.jpg

It's blue da ba dee da ba die...

b40fe824.jpg

78d75b29.jpg

0dc5e7cd.jpg

95247bac.jpg

2beeb031.jpg

Bearing in mind the adit runs slightly up hill from about 3m above the river I reckon this is probably a sump, but could be a flooded shaft. I wasn't about to use that ladder.

cb3daa5e.jpg

Turk. Stope.

97629d83.jpg