real time web analytics
Report - - Guy Birkin Lace, Nottimgham, September 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Guy Birkin Lace, Nottimgham, September 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Evening everyone.

Firstly, it was great to meet everyone at the Nottingham meet up, hope to bump into you all again sometime.

Anyway, on with the report:

History:

The Birkin family were renowned lace manufacturers in Nottingham and also had a premises on Broadway in the Lace Market.

The company vacated the three-storey White House on Beech Avenue a number of years ago and the factory building was then used as offices. It had been on the market "for some time".

An application to transform the site into 48 apartments was lodged by Nottingham-based Zenith Planning and Design on behalf of White House Ltd in April 2014.

It was granted approval by Nottingham City Council planners earlier this week (24 September 2015).

Each floor will comprise 14 two-bed flats, along with six one-bed apartments. Each unit will also have a mezzanine floor.

Links:
http://www.nottinghampost.com/bygones-lace-dynasty-nottingham/story-12176136-detail/story.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11167752
(Sounds like it's sadly a dying trade)

Photos:

As you can see, the building is in very poor condition and is completely stripped out:

P1000173_zpspx1s9kdh.jpg

P1000155_zpspgkq0jw6.jpg

This bit was sealed- the plaque by the door said it was part of Framework, the homelessness charity, although I'm not sure what for..

P1000183_zpspebp5l7v.jpg

P1000166_zpsw0rjclml.jpg

Lonely chair shot:

P1000163_zpswn8a9ueo.jpg

View from the top:
P1000157_zps3pl3uh3m.jpg

An exterior:

P1000184_zpscptirdsp.jpg

I could hear running water down this corridor, possibly a sign of part of it being in use?

P1000170_zps2xzmn9md.jpg

Anyway that's all from me- I spotted a skip around the back, I'm guessing this place will be gone fairly soon.

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
nice stuff, :thumb
thinking about visiting while in Nottingham last week.

Last edited: