28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Gwrych Castle, North Wales
alot of history behind this place so here goes.
'Gwrych Castle was erected between 1819 and 1825 at the behest of Lloyd Hesketh Bamford-Hesketh.In 1928, Douglas Cochrane, 12th Earl of Dundonald, purchased the castle for Â£78,000, selling the contents to meet the cost.During World War II, the Government used the castle to house 200 Jewish refugees run by the Jewish Zionist youth movement Bnei Akiva. Following the war, the castle left the Dundonald family and was open to the public for twenty years. It was called "The Showpiece of Wales" at this time, and attracted many visitors.It was also used as a training venue for the English World Middleweight boxing champion Randolph Turpin in the early 1950s. In the early 60s it was an occasional venue for the famous motorcycle Dragon Rally and in the 70s it was used as a centre for medieval re-enactments, attracting tourists with such events as jousting and mock banquets.The castle was last open to the public in 1985. Thereafter, it started to decline. It was bought in 1989 by Nick Tavaglione, an American businessman, for Â£750,000.However, his plans to renovate the building were not carried out.
After Clayton Hotels was placed in administration, new developers obtained fresh planning permission in November 2012 from Conwy County Borough Council for the castle to be converted into a luxury hotel with 75 bedrooms and associated facilities.'
According to the trust supporting gwrych castle there are plans to restore it and turn it in to a public attraction.Work has already started but very little is evident.