real time web analytics
Report - - Gypsies Tent Dudley 2008 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gypsies Tent Dudley 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

What a find

28DL Member
28DL Member
I see there have been a few posts of this lovely old pub. My pictures are probably not of the best quality but I feel people would be keen to see them. My pics are from around 2008 before the place got trashed (permitted visit). I can probably answer a few questions if anybody is interested. I have a lot more pics of the place if anyone is interested in these.

Bar after a bit of a tidy

28062008459.jpg

The "Club Room"

28062008456.jpg

Bottle capping machine and old barrels in the cellar.

28062008467.jpg

Going down

28062008477.jpg

The barrel chute

28062008476.jpg

"That" fridge and cupboard as you have never seen them before

dudleyJan2008160.jpg

Lounge

dudleyJan2008180.jpg

The office

dudleyJan2008163.jpg

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Jesus thats unbelievable! We thought it almost unbelievable when we visited it this year!

Do you know any of the story behind it? How it came to still be like this in 2008 and what became of it after? Was it cleared officially or did it just fall victim of dereliction and of all that entails?

What a find

28DL Member
28DL Member
The late Millard brothers who ran the pub until it closed were in fact my great uncles. The pub had been under threat of a compulsory purchase order for about 20 years and when they were told that to retain their licence they would have to invest a considerable sum to bring the establishment up to standard, Dudley Council refused to make a decision and so the brothers decided to shut the doors and retire.

The brothers stayed living in the building until their passing, as you can tell neglecting to do any maintenance. The bar was basically left untouched for all those years as I guess there was no need to change anything, there is a lot of room in that building for two elderly men to live. After my great uncle, Don Millard passed away in 2007 the pub was left to my immediate family. We do not live locally and we spent a year or so commuting and sorting through any sentimental and interesting items that were there, van load at a time. I personally spent a lot of time tidying the rooms out of respect and taking photographs to preserve memories. Many of the fixtures and fittings such as the bar, doors, skirting boards etc.. we donated to the Black country Museum, they were offered the whole building but it was unfortunately too large for them to take on. A lot of the vandalism was down to pikeys who wanted scrap metal, there were regular break-ins during our ownership. The pub was sold to a local man in 2010.