real time web analytics
Report - - H.W. Dabbs Saddlemakers, Wallsal, February 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - H.W. Dabbs Saddlemakers, Wallsal, February 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
I noticed this place when I visited Strand leather goods back in November but couldn't get in. So I gave it another go this year. One of many saddlers and leather works in Walsall at the time like Jabez cliff, BOAK tanners, Bebee & Bebee.

I've posted it directly in the pit because although it got some good history relating to the leatherworks in walsall, photographically speaking it's not that inspiring.

For more than 35 years H.W. Dabbs Saddlemakers has been known as one of the finest saddle and bridle makers in the world. Jaguar Cars Ltd. is proud to license Harry Dabbs to create a new breed of saddle.

The foundation of The Jaguar Saddle , a laminated wood spring tree has been perfected through years of testing in real life situations, with hundreds of horse and rider combinations. Superior fit, flexibility and comfort are the hallmarks of every Jaguar saddle.

At the turn of the 20th century Walsall was home to nearly a third of Britain's saddlers and harness makers. It is for saddlery and harness that the Walsall leather industry remains one of the best known, yet from 1900 these trades began a long decline.

One by one, the traditional roles of the horse were challenged and eventually supplanted by the internal combustion engine in its many forms. The great age of the horse had ended.

Walsall firms had to adapt to this changing world or disappear. Some had been making light leather goods such as travelling bags, hat boxes, wallets and writing cases since the 1870s. From 1900 onwards they increasingly concentrated on this type of work, gradually dropping the less profitable harness and saddlery lines from their catalogues.

exterior.jpg

Jaglogo.jpg

saddleseat.jpg

saddlemould.jpg

topfloor.jpg

straps.jpg

shelves.jpg

saddlebits.jpg

bench.jpg

throughwindow.jpg

leatherstraps.jpg

horsemag.jpg