real time web analytics
Report - - Haddon railway tunnel in Derbyshire, October 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Haddon railway tunnel in Derbyshire, October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
So it has been such a long time since I have used my faithful old D300 but I had promised to bring it along to Haddon tunnel to show Lenston some new camera settings :D, as it turned out we met up, drank beer and took some photos, it is always nice to catch up with Lenny .....good company, photoings and beer is always a win :thumb

only a short report

so the history i have shamelessly stolen from HughieD and his excellent report..hope he dont mind

Haddon Tunnel is located in the English county of Derbyshire. It was built by the Midland Railway in 1863 as an extension of its Buxton branch-line, into the Peaks, linking the afore-mentioned Buxton with Matlock. The line was born out of the Midland Railway’s rivalry with the London & North Western (LNW) to secure a strategic rail route between London and Manchester. The first section was the 15-mile extension of the Rowsley line into Buxton, authorised in May 1860. The 1,058-yard long tunnel was constructed to hide the railway from the view of the Duke of Rutland where the line passed Haddon Hall. The tunnel is close to the surface and was, in the main, built by the 'cut and cover' method. So much so that towards its southern end, it is now possible to walk alongside the tunnel at track level, such is the shallowness of the fill and gradient of the slope. It included five ventilation shafts with one being the full width of the double-track tunnel. Shortly after the headings met on Tuesday 2nd July 1861, an arch collapsed killing three men and a boy, wounding another so seriously that he died the following day. John Millington, George Buckley, James Bird, James Clarke and the young Alfred Plank are honoured by a simple memorial in the churchyard at Rowsley. The railway paid £100 (equivalent to £8,781 in 2016) compensation to each of their families.

The tunnel was constructed in 1860 to save the grand old Duke of rutland from clapping eyes on the train from his pile in the sticks, Haddon Hall
26775271669_b4d074d1cd_o.jpg

not sure which end this is but one end is so wet that it is only the brickwork that seals the tunnel that is peventing it from becoming swamped.
26775232239_a5fd114206_o.jpg

the flooded end
300_6793.jpg

and the end that we entered
300_6715.jpg

inside it is just about a Kilometre of nice blockwork, vents and cut ins
300_6780.jpg

some of the vents are just that in the roof but one is practically a break in the tunnel
300_6750.jpg

some gorgeous formations on the deck too
300_6761.jpg

like a scabby old chimney breast
300_6775.jpg

some are adorned with foliage, and other crap :)
300_6797.jpg

such a pretty place
300_6752.jpg

little or no evidence of sleepers or tracks
300_6719.jpg

300_6760.jpg

El Groupo Shot
300_6795.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to Lenston :)

300_6778.jpg

Last edited:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers Lee, Matt and Mike, yes all good just so busy just dont seem to use my camera anymore but still caving :)

tigger

mog
Regular User
The spalling of the bricks looks recent.

D300 a great outdoor camera body with it's metal shell. Never understood why their secondhand value seems depressed compared to some slightly older less-well specced Nikons.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Love this one. Probably the best tunnel I've done. Great set from you Mr Kwan. The western entrance has really turned into a swamp.

And no problem with the history borrow.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers for commenting Tigger and Hughie thanks for use of the blurb, I did enjoy seeing this tunnel :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks Scoobysrt and Dingle for commenting, it was a number of weeks ago that we went and surprisingly there was a low constant light from the vents so it was not so hard to light with a long exposure.

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
the haddon estate is one of the obsticles preventing peak rail from reaching buxton the first being a missing viaduct at rowsley the second being the haddon estate who now own the tunnel and viaduct and will not sell or least it to peak rail as they do not want peak rail trains crossing their land
the third is the remaining part of the line which partly runs on a rock shelf high above the A6 and is a single line runs to a quarry and is owned either by the quarry or by network rail thus peak rails dream will never come to fruition beyond matlock or rowsley as at matlock the line has been slewed to the right from matlock station and connects the down line with the up line trains using the former manchester platforms
for peak rail to reach ambergate would need the line slewed back and platforms rebuilt which would never happen there would also be no room to provide run round provision and the cost of allowing trains from matlock to ambergate which would have to be top and tailed ( a loco at each end)
would be prohibitive thats if they could find the paths in the first place as the line is run on OTIS one train in section the driver would have the single line tablet from ambergate to matlock and return the only answer would be double track and that wont happen due to cost.

Who has read this thread (Total: 378) View details