real time web analytics
Report - - Haddon Tunnel, Derbyshire - June 2022 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Haddon Tunnel, Derbyshire - June 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This one has been on my radar for a while. I really like tunnel explores, so I was looking forward to this one and it definitely didn’t disappoint. I visited with @V50jake.

History
Constructed in 1863, Haddon Tunnel was part Midland Railway’s extension of the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway from Rowsley to Buxton.

The tunnel was built in very close proximity to Haddon Hall, and its purpose was to hide the railway from the view of the Duke of Rutland who was based at the Hall. The tunnel is the largest one I have visited with a length of 967 metres. The tunnel was built with five ventilation shafts and had an opening in the middle.

The tunnel closed in 1968 as a result of the Beeching cuts, which was a plan that resulted in the closure of various lines up and down the country. The tunnel has since laid disused ever since. It’s fairly likely that the tunnel may be opened for public access in the future, as part of a scheme to extend the popular Monsal Trail that runs through part of the Peak District.

The Explore
We parked in a nearby layby and the tunnel was around a ten-minute walk. It was fairly well hidden and we initially went the wrong way, but eventually found it after spotting one of the air shafts in the distance. I wore wellies as it was very muddy near the entrance, but no parts of the tunnel were flooded as such.

As I mentioned in the introduction, I really enjoyed this one and is definitely the best tunnel I have visited, I have only been to a handful though. I particularly enjoyed the vegetation growing up the walls of the tunnel where light comes through the air shafts.

Pics

Thanks for looking!

Hessian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love the greenery around the air shaft; the safety alcove would definitely be the entrance to a secret temple in a videogame.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Very nice pics, liking the ferns and plants also.
It's in great condition... I'm not seeing a load of fallen lining on the floor like some reports show (for other tunnels)

Are the air shafts in shallower sections, or is the whole length shallow and cut/cover?

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice images. Looks clear of rubbish. I was sure id seen it with rubbish before. The moss and ferns growing over and near the shaft are rather photogenic :thumb

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They did not come out too bad at all. I really liked this tunnel, but it’s surprisingly dry in your pics.
Thanks mate, yeah it was very boggy at the start but it was mostly dry, but there were some wet bits near to the other end (the end without the door).

I was pleased with the pics as it was the first time in years I've done any sort of long exposure photography! I may need some tips off you on how to improve dynamic range though, as some of the brighter bits appeared a bit washed out. I'll have to ping you a message on FB ;)

Love the greenery around the air shaft; the safety alcove would definitely be the entrance to a secret temple in a videogame.
The greenery is what made the tunnel for me. It definitely created that sort of atmosphere haha

Very nice pics, liking the ferns and plants also.
It's in great condition... I'm not seeing a load of fallen lining on the floor like some reports show (for other tunnels)

Are the air shafts in shallower sections, or is the whole length shallow and cut/cover?
Loved the vegetation, it's my favourite tunnel explore so far mainly because of that.

From what I've seen online, the tunnel was constructed using the cut and cover method for the majority of the tunnel, but not all of it.

Nice images. Looks clear of rubbish. I was sure id seen it with rubbish before. The moss and ferns growing over and near the shaft are rather photogenic :thumb
Thanks, yeah it was cleaner than expected and the moss was lovely!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just a quick update. I re-visited the tunnel about 3 or 4 weeks after the date of this report and wanted to share some better photos that I got of the tunnel. I did already post this comment before but the post was deleted due to the forum issues a couple of months back. Also, an update to say that this tunnel is locked with "CCTV" at the entrance (note the quotation marks lol, I'm fairly certain the camera has no power running to it). It might still be possible to access from the other end, but is usually flooded and the hole to get in is pretty small!

Anyway, here are the new photos I got:

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 172) View details