real time web analytics
Report - - Hadleigh ROC Post (Suffolk) Updated Sept 2018. | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

INTHEVAN EXPLORING yt

InTheVan Exploring
28DL Full Member
I have decided to update my post on my ongoing search for info regarding the Nuclear Monitoring Post that was situated on the West side of Frog Hall Lane, in Hadleigh, Suffolk.
With new information I can now update everything I know.

The Royal Observer Corps in the Second World War were of vital importance during the Battle of Britain where their Aircraft observation Posts spotted German aircraft as it crossed the country. They were needed as soon as the war ended with increasing tension from the Soviet Union, posts were updated to look out for soviet bombers had they come during the 50's. 1563 small Nuclear Bunkers were built around the country roughly 10 miles apart. The Royal Observer Corps now had the job of Monitoring nuclear blasts and Radiation had nuclear war ever come. The Information would then be communicated within a cluster of Posts via telephone lines where a single 'master post' would be equipped with a 'TeleTalk' to report back to an regional ROC HQ. These HQ's were a lot more luxurious than the damp, cramped ROC Posts. The Headquarters for Hadleigh was situated in Colchester. Many posts were shut down in 1968 with easing tensions. Half however stayed operational (Including the Hadleigh Post) until 1991 with the fall of the Eastern Bloc.

hhvhvh.jpg

Diagram of an Roc Nuclear Monitoring Post.
IMG_1348.JPG

The Post in Hadleigh was situated Right of Frog Hall Lane, a quiet backroad that has recently been blocked with half now being a footpath and the other a short dead end of a road. The Bunker was apparently almost in line with the bushes shown above (Right). It according to SubBrit opened in April 1961 & Closed in September 1991, and was demolished shortly after. (Because of a new housing Estate that did not affect the Post, as it was situated in the now pointless patch of shrubbery right of the lane and left of the houses.
IMG_1346.JPG

Above- One clue to the post's existence is the line of relatively abandoned telegraph poles where one of which would have connected to the bunker.
IMG_1347_LI.jpg

Layby for parking is just about visable for the bunker.
IMG_1350.JPG

An old fence post that was originally part of the compound fence of the bunker lies in the shrubbery.

cccctvyuuv.jpg

A pile of reinforced concrete, has been here since anyone can remember... Related to the bunker?
hhhvvy.jpg

Pile of dirt and Concrete I had a dig into, looks like a pile from the housing estate, but also from the bunker?

yuuyfvyu.png

The Second World-War Aircraft observation post at Hadleigh. This was apparently further South west. Hadleigh Church can be seen in the distance.
vyvyivvi.jpg

1960's map of Hadleigh shows the bunker and Layby.
vvv.jpg

Google Maps screenshot. Of the site now, and housing estate.

bbjkjbjbk.jpg

WW2 Pillbox in the area, now a garden shed.

-SEPT 2018- News has come to light that the bunker only had it's surface structures removed, and then a Man-hole cover 'similar to that used for sewage' was put over the access shaft. An underground chamber once built for Nuclear war still lies forgotten in the lonely back lane in Hadleigh. Where this Man hole lies I do not know, It is hella overgrown, and dirt must have covered it.

To be continued.

Toytown

28DL Member
28DL Member
Looking at the exact spot of the Hadleigh ROC Post on a map it does seem Subbrit are correct in saying it's now been built over, as the spot where it once stood is now a road with surrounding houses as you can see in the picture below.

I'd say it's still worth checking around that area though you might get lucky. I went out to Market Rasen ROC Post yesterday afternoon but unfortunately the hatch has been double padlocked shut which is a shame.

Screenshot_20180928-003910.png

20180927_163348.jpg

INTHEVAN EXPLORING yt

InTheVan Exploring
28DL Full Member
Looking at the exact spot of the Hadleigh ROC Post on a map it does seem Subbrit are correct in saying it's now been built over, as the spot where it once stood is now a road with surrounding houses as you can see in the picture below.

I'd say it's still worth checking around that area though you might get lucky. I went out to Market Rasen ROC Post yesterday afternoon but unfortunately the hatch has been double padlocked shut which is a shame.

Screenshot_20180928-003910.png

20180927_163348.jpg
The Subbrit Report isn't accurate mate, it was right by the road on the lane Behind.

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have decided to update my post on my ongoing search for info regarding the Nuclear Monitoring Post that was situated on the West side of Frog Hall Lane, in Hadleigh, Suffolk.
With new information I can now update everything I know.

The Royal Observer Corps in the Second World War were of vital importance during the Battle of Britain where their Aircraft observation Posts spotted German aircraft as it crossed the country. They were needed as soon as the war ended with increasing tension from the Soviet Union, posts were updated to look out for soviet bombers had they come during the 50's. 1563 small Nuclear Bunkers were built around the country roughly 10 miles apart. The Royal Observer Corps now had the job of Monitoring nuclear blasts and Radiation had nuclear war ever come. The Information would then be communicated within a cluster of Posts via telephone lines where a single 'master post' would be equipped with a 'TeleTalk' to report back to an regional ROC HQ. These HQ's were a lot more luxurious than the damp, cramped ROC Posts. The Headquarters for Hadleigh was situated in Colchester. Many posts were shut down in 1968 with easing tensions. Half however stayed operational (Including the Hadleigh Post) until 1991 with the fall of the Eastern Bloc.
hhvhvh.jpg

Diagram of an Roc Nuclear Monitoring Post.
IMG_1348.JPG

The Post in Hadleigh was situated Right of Frog Hall Lane, a quiet backroad that has recently been blocked with half now being a footpath and the other a short dead end of a road. The Bunker was apparently almost in line with the bushes shown above (Right). It according to SubBrit opened in April 1961 & Closed in September 1991, and was demolished shortly after. (Because of a new housing Estate that did not affect the Post, as it was situated in the now pointless patch of shrubbery right of the lane and left of the houses.
IMG_1346.JPG

Above- One clue to the post's existence is the line of relatively abandoned telegraph poles where one of which would have connected to the bunker.
IMG_1347_LI.jpg

Layby for parking is just about visable for the bunker.
IMG_1350.JPG

An old fence post that was originally part of the compound fence of the bunker lies in the shrubbery.

cccctvyuuv.jpg

A pile of reinforced concrete, has been here since anyone can remember... Related to the bunker?
hhhvvy.jpg

Pile of dirt and Concrete I had a dig into, looks like a pile from the housing estate, but also from the bunker?

yuuyfvyu.png

The Second World-War Aircraft observation post at Hadleigh. This was apparently further South west. Hadleigh Church can be seen in the distance.
vyvyivvi.jpg

1960's map of Hadleigh shows the bunker and Layby.
vvv.jpg

Google Maps screenshot. Of the site now, and housing estate.

bbjkjbjbk.jpg

WW2 Pillbox in the area, now a garden shed.

-SEPT 2018- News has come to light that the bunker only had it's surface structures removed, and then a Man-hole cover 'similar to that used for sewage' was put over the access shaft. An underground chamber once built for Nuclear war still lies forgotten in the lonely back lane in Hadleigh. Where this Man hole lies I do not know, It is hella overgrown, and dirt must have covered it.

To be continued.
this is pretty interesting have you had any progress on this Id love to come look if you did

INTHEVAN EXPLORING yt

InTheVan Exploring
28DL Full Member
any updates on this
I was wrong about the location of the bunker, it was further east and further away from the road. the post is presumably in a garden, or perhaps under a patch of shrubbery that to me seems rather pointless not to build on. -unless something lurks underground? :rolleyes:

Red- Rough Position of Bunker, now built over. It was directly opposite Frog Hall (far left).
Purple- Previous assumption of site whereabouts.
Cyan- FH Lane, disused.

Who has read this thread (Total: 146) View details