real time web analytics
Information - - Hadleigh, Suffolk. WW2 Ammunition Depot, Searchlight Site, Pillboxes & possible tunnels? | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

INTHEVAN EXPLORING yt

InTheVan Exploring
28DL Full Member
Hadleigh was a strategically important site for defense if Invasion from Germany ever occurred during WW2. Located in the Brett Valley, it was nicknamed 'Hadleigh Hole' by locals as entering it from any angle was a decline, thus being vulnerable to total surrounding. A Munitions Workshop, Camp & Anti-Aircraft Magazine were built north of the town. All were re-used during the Cold war as a NATO Ammunition Depot until closure in 1997. The Semi-sunken bunkers of the Magazine were demolished and a new housing estate was built over. The Large munitions building turned into a BUYRIGHT Superstore (variant of QD) and later purchased as a Morrisons and QD, which is obviously still there.

Left of centre- Munitions building and workshop.
Back- AA Magazine.

The site today.

One of the Magazines.

Guardhouse for Magazines in 1998 shortly before being demolished.

Former back entrance.

Inside of Magazine in 1998

There were stories of an underground tunnel connecting the two sites, most likely a myth but interesting none the less.

Military building still present on site in 2009, now demolished.

Perimeter fencing still present in 2009, some may remain today.
A Mortar bomb was even found under the car park when it was being extended to make way for a Morrisons!

Discount Superstore! 2009.

This report will be continued soon.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
We used to drive passed this all the time when I was a kid and it fascinated me. The shop was a Tesco back then, rather like a modern "Tesco Extra" but in the 80s!

When I first started exploring I went for a walk around there quite a few times hoping there would be some remains of the underground workings but I think it must have all been back filled.

You you know how extensive the tunnels were? Were they just straight tunnels cut back into the hillside?

InTheVan Exploring

28DL Member
28DL Member
We used to drive passed this all the time when I was a kid and it fascinated me. The shop was a Tesco back then, rather like a modern "Tesco Extra" but in the 80s!

When I first started exploring I went for a walk around there quite a few times hoping there would be some remains of the underground workings but I think it must have all been back filled.

You you know how extensive the tunnels were? Were they just straight tunnels cut back into the hillside?
In Hadleigh you mean?

Who has read this thread (Total: 176) View details