real time web analytics
Report - - HADLEIGH WW2 RAF Heavy Artillery Battery. - 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HADLEIGH WW2 RAF Heavy Artillery Battery. - 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
20201121_194907.jpg

WW2 RAF BASE INFILTRATED.(Historic Site)

This 'was' a complex site of 5.25" and 4.5" gun emplacements, ancillary buildings and structures, and accommodation huts. All of the accommodation huts have been demolished and now, they used to lay under where a new housing estate is ..and the appearance of the site has changed with the addition of a banked reservoir and heaped soil and grass over the gun positions.

On the surface there is a post-war Operations Room/Generator Block (generator is still running), rare in this country !! The Gun Store is one of only two The On-Site Magazine is similarly one of only two I was un able to locate the exact position of the gun placement this time round, but will look out for it in the future, I have gone on to find out that the guns are infact STILL IN PLACE !!! ...But have been buried under the hills in the surrounding area/s..

...also one of the smaller buildings that was covered 99% with brambles was infact 1 of the 2 'Gun Stores' but from pictures I've found online ... the store is now filled with rubble etc... does make me curies as to why...perhaps a tunnel entrance !? ..who knows.. cos for now its un assesable

The battery was there to shoot down Bombers, and Fighter planes and to protect the coastline from imminent attacks from the enemy.

Additional quotes and captions - Deralict Places DOT CO DOT UK

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
These historic sites are interesting to know about. Good places to practice photography too. Some nice images there

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Nice one mate, its Liam from BTP. Great local site to me, all those gun pits are still buried I bet there's loads more surviving out of view. Nice photos too :) It wasn't used by the RAF but they were probably glad to have it though! I would imagine it would have been manned by anti-aircraft gunner divisions or territorial forces.

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These historic sites are interesting to know about. Good places to practice photography too. Some nice images there

Thankyou :) .. I enjoy walking and these Historic sites are freat to find and visit, I look forward to getting my new camera.. I want to get some really tasteful shots in the future that capture the age of the muse perfectly..

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate, its Liam from BTP. Great local site to me, all those gun pits are still buried I bet there's loads more surviving out of view. Nice photos too :) It wasn't used by the RAF but they were probably glad to have it though! I would imagine it would have been manned by anti-aircraft gunner divisions or territorial forces.
Hi Liam, I wish the guns hadnt been burried, I hope they were wrapped with linen and oil to preserve them.. Thanks ..I am trying to improve constantly and enjoying the scene very much..do you happen to know the names of any of the G-divisions or TF's ...There are a few more area's of interest at this site and I will return one day to capture the bits I missed. glad you like what I have done so far.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Hi Liam, I wish the guns hadnt been burried, I hope they were wrapped with linen and oil to preserve them.. Thanks ..I am trying to improve constantly and enjoying the scene very much..do you happen to know the names of any of the G-divisions or TF's ...There are a few more area's of interest at this site and I will return one day to capture the bits I missed. glad you like what I have done so far.

I think the guns themselves must have been taken away eventually but if you look along the top of the hill to the left and right of the buildings you'll see the hexagonal emplacements sticking out the soil. Keep it up youre doing a great job. I don't know which divisions were there but I'm sure it must be somewhere online. Yeah there's a great one at Shopland north of Southend at Butlers Farm, also a really big site at Chadwell Heath. The two batteries on Canvey are cool but one is buried and the other is inaccessible.