real time web analytics
Report - - Hales Hospital/Heckingham Institution, Norfolk - January 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hales Hospital/Heckingham Institution, Norfolk - January 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
While looking for some older family pictures I came across these and noticed they had not been posted on here by me.

This was a site I visited lots of times as it was on the doorstep, then it started to get developed and it is now some sort of retirement area and also accommodation for others.

History (pinched from Adam X)

Hales Hospital was built by John Harris of Ipswich in 1764 as a workhouse, the Heckingham House of Industry, for up to 400 inmates at Hales. The large H-shaped building contained 83 "apartments" and included an infirmary and a house of correction. In 1766, a pest house for up to 20 "persons afflicted with smallpox
or other infectious disorders" was erected at the east of the workhouse.

By 1835, the Heckingham workhouse housed 450 paupers and had gained a reputation as being the most disorderly, inefficient and corrupt of the Norfolk Hundred workhouses. In 1836, however, a group of male inmates rioted and pulled down one of the new walls and in April of the same year, the workhouse was set on fire.

In 1933 the Norfolk County Council purchased the property for use as accommodation for 120 female and 56 male patients, in compliance with the Mental Deficiency Act of 1927 which required institutional care for mental defectives. For the following 20 years, it was known as the Heckingham Institution, changing its name in 1953 to Hales Hospital until it finally closed in 1990.

Corridor to a bathroom

An internal courtyard

The lift mechanism

Dinning area