real time web analytics
Report - - Hall & House, Orkney Isles, September 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hall & House, Orkney Isles, September 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

greenhac

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Something a little off the beaten track for my first report. Exploring solo as part of a holiday to the Orkney Isles.

Abandonments are two a penny on the smaller Orkney Isles, and most are pretty uninteresting. Here is a combined report of a couple of the more unusual abandonments that I came across.

All photos taken with my trusty Fuji S5700. Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod with me on the trip, only a Gorillapod so some of the photos aren't as good as I would have liked them to be.

Farmhouse, Claybraes, Papa Westray
A traditional farmhouse located on the east of Papa Westray, Aerial View /Maps

The combination of reasonably strong wind and some loose looking roof "slabs" made for a little unnerving explore. Inside was in pretty good nick considering the exposed location. Despite dropping by the island coffee morning :gay, I wasn't able to discover details about the history of the place and the circumstances of it's abandonment.

1) One of the better roof sections
DSCF5048.jpg

2) Sans-Roof
DSCF5064.jpg

3) Tasteful Pink
DSCF5082.jpg

4)
DSCF5053.jpg

5)
DSCF5058.jpg

6) A clean dog is a happy dog
DSCF5060.jpg

7) Christmas Greetings
DSCF5073.jpg

8) May 16, 1940
DSCF5078.jpg

9) June 6, 1970
DSCF5074.jpg

10) Wholesome Reading
DSCF5075.jpg

"Hall", near London Airport, Eday
A few days and and two ferries later I came across this building on Eday, located about half a mile south of "London Airport" (named after the adjoining London Bay)

Aerial View /Maps

Current Ordnance Survey maps describe the building simply as a "Hall". The main hall is been used for storage, including a motorbike. Pigeons have made themselves at home. A room off the side of the hall appears to have been used as living accommodation.

11)
DSCF5805.jpg

12) *Not Access*
DSCF5788.jpg

13) Someone's Pride and Joy
DSCF5795.jpg

14) Bit late for some Hovering. Pigeon lovers look away....
DSCF5796.jpg

15) Home Sweet Home
DSCF5801.jpg

16)
DSCF5803.jpg

17) I was in a rush to catch my ferry so completely forgot to get a good external shot. Here is a blurry shot taken from a distance.
DSCF5811.jpg

I would certainly suggest dropping by either of these sites if you happen to be in the area :D