real time web analytics
Report - - Hallam Towers, Sheffield - May 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hallam Towers, Sheffield - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
This One was right near the top of the list when looking for places to visit in sheffield, I know this has been done before but I had to give it a go been new to all this.

A failed attempt recently urged me on even more to keep trying this place and it eventually paid off!! :laugh

Once inside the building we went staight to the to Roof to see if there was still a way on, as this is mainly what we wanted to target and it was easily acsessible so we headed back down to work our way through the floors before it got dark.

This place is pretty empty now inside with not much to look at, all the graffiti has been painted over with a horrible yellow paint also.

After not much time we found ourselfs back at the top waiting for cover of darkness, not my best rooftop so far but still worth a shot!!

visited with leeskywalker and another non member.

History From Wiki

Designed by Nelson Foley of the Trust House Architectural Department, construction started in 1963 at a cost of £1 million. The Hallam Tower Hotel, owned by Trust Houses Group Ltd, opened on 24 March 1965 and at opening boasted 136 bedrooms over its eleven stories, employed nearly 150 staff members and covered a three and a half acre site.

For the 1966 World Cup, Hillsborough Stadium was the 'home' ground of the Swiss team, their over night accommodation was the Hallam Tower Hotel.

By 1986 the building was known as the Hallam Tower Post House Hotel and a year later was subject to a £750,000 refurbishment which also saw the opening of the gym, whose members boasted members of the Sheffield Wednesday football team, its then-manager Howard Wilkinson, along with boxer Herol 'Bomber' Graham.

The hotel eventually closed, along with the attached Spirit Health Club, on 18 April 2004, with some staff transferring to the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria in central Sheffield. The building was sold to development company Hallam Grange Ltd. for £6.3 million later in 2004.

Since its closure the building has stood empty, although planning permission was granted in 2009 for a redevelopment of the tower into residential units,[11] as part of a wider redevelopment which would create 132 residential units on the site. Hallam Grange and their architects', Sheffield-based Axis Architecture, had been working on the scheme for three years, with the granted scheme being of smaller bulk and different layout to that originally proposed. The granted scheme would an extra floor added to the rear of the tower, with some being removed from the front portion and the whole building reclad.

In September 2013, Hallam Grange placed the building on the market for sale with the Sheffield residential development office of Knight Frank.

Hope you all enjoy!!

Everyone loves a stair shot haha

_DSC0138_zps5f8b4fce.jpg

_DSC0146_zps9f1a4d31.jpg

Empty corridors

_DSC0153_zps9861b1ea.jpg

First Selfie :)

_DSC0157_zps65ef221c.jpg

In need of a bit of a sweep up

_DSC0167_zps5ded6750.jpg

To the top!!!!:D

_DSC0176_zpsca8c3bda.jpg

_DSC0184_zps42ac84d5.jpg

_DSC0191_zps633d30e9.jpg

_DSC0194_zps2617a39d.jpg

_DSC0199_zps49631ad5.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!:)

Until next time...............

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Re: Hallam Towers Sheffield May 2014

nice shots mate not seen this place for some time since the part demo and the rest being locked down :thumb

Cheers mate!! :)
Yeah not really much to see inside but still very nice to pay a visit, that place must of been amazing in its prime!!
loved the roof top though not as much as Bt but still great, think Bt will always be special as it was my first high building haha

icecool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

was great in it's prime. one of my first jobs as a telephone engineer in 1964 was helping to wire it up. spent several weeks there. got bawled out for walking on a polished floor by clerk of works. felt a right prat. viewing your pics. takes me back 50 years. great thread. wish i could have visited it with you but in my late 60ties would have been a bit slow.ha ha

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member

was great in it's prime. one of my first jobs as a telephone engineer in 1964 was helping to wire it up. spent several weeks there. got bawled out for walking on a polished floor by clerk of works. felt a right prat. viewing your pics. takes me back 50 years. great thread. wish i could have visited it with you but in my late 60ties would have been a bit slow.ha ha

Hi Ice Cool, happy you enjoyed them and they managed to take you back all those years, I bet this place was amazing when first built! No need to rush in there mate, once your in your not getting disturbed haha.

stay clear of those freshly polished floors haha

thanks for looking!!

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member

Does anyone know the height of this place? I thought it would at least be in the Top twenty tallest in Sheffield but looks like I am wrong!!

aNY ideas?

saxsarah

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

its my last week in sheffield this week, and ive wanted to view this building for AGES!! guys, can u take me??? or tell me the entry point u got in? and is it highly filled with asbestos? would love to be taken in, if u guys r free this week? :)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Is this still alive? I thought it was due to be demolished, or at least halfway through the process now.

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member

Is this still alive? I thought it was due to be demolished, or at least halfway through the process now.

Yeah still there Wildboyz, surprised it doesn't get done more often, its so easy! There is nothing to look at inside, completely gutted but rooftop is cool.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Yeah still there Wildboyz, surprised it doesn't get done more often, its so easy! There is nothing to look at inside, completely gutted but rooftop is cool.

When I first when there was quite a bit of stuff still lying around. Over the years I watched it gradually disappear :( Not been there since early 2013, so wasn't sure if it was gone or not.