real time web analytics
Report - - Hanging Flat Mine, Eyam/Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire, may 2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hanging Flat Mine, Eyam/Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire, may 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some History

The Hanging Flat mine is a small lead and fluorspar mine, located slightly south-west of Eyam, in Derbyshire's White Peak region. The history of lead mining in the Hanging Flat area dates back at least to 1881 when the Hanging Flat House was inhabited by one Samuel Needham, aged 45, his wife, two daughters and two sons. In the 1881 census the occupation of Samuel Needham's two sons (aged 15 and 22) is listed as "lead miner" while that of Samuel is recored as "farmer of 28 acres and lead miner". Between 1881 and 1901 the family seems to have been engaged in some form of lead mining or the other. Whether they were mining the same mine as the one that nowadays is called "Hanging Flat Mine" is not certain but not impossible given the locations of the lead and spar mines on the 1899 Ordnance Survey Map.

map.png

After that I lost the thread until the 1960s, when the current incarnation of the mine was (re-) opened by J. Garlick. Subsequently, it was mined for fluorspar throughout the 1970s but with very little economic success. In the 1980s the mine was was taken over by a ex-Laporte employee called Roger Ridgeway who worked the mine slightly more succesfully. However, ultimately the mine was deemed economically not viable and closed in 1987. Note that Laporte were the owners of Glebe Mines who operated the nearby Sallet Hole Mine and constructed Cavendish Mill in 1965.

The Explore

Access to this mine is pretty straightforward and only requires a little bit of crawling initially. Soon after the entrance the mine splits into two branches the right one being the longer but unfortunately also looks to be the most sketchy one. As I was by myself I did not venture very far down this branch but followed the left branch which looked pretty solid to my relatively untrained eye.

Played around with my torches to backlight some of the mine and was in there for a solid hour and a half. Thanks @HughieD for pointing this little gem out to me.

IMG_9018.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg