real time web analytics
Report - - Ha'penny Shelter, Stockport, 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ha'penny Shelter, Stockport, 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Not very exciting, but this thread https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/springmount-mill-stockport-december-2017.t111790#post-1194979 reminded me of it, as it's attached to the mill.

I think it is under an old school (now gone) so could have been used by both places. Between 1874 and 1898, Brinksway Chapel was located on the Eastern flank of the Mill and re-purposed as one of the local schools. The Chapel / School was built on elevated land above Brinksway, so one of the ways to access the grounds would be by the steep cobbled path that is gated off from the main road.

This would serve as one of two ways for access, as Spring Street higher up the hillside could also be used. Spring Street / Mount is now the site of the modern School and playing fields.

Discovered by SoundLighGo as me and @FreshFingers were having police called on us by nosy neighbours, for climbing the gate to the mill.

At first glance, basement/store rooms, but with thick offset walls (are they called baffle walls?) it seemed likely to be a shelter. There are two brick rooms, with arched ceilings.

Spring Mount Mill

Q54fOEFUmRSSRqx5N7JB-IP9T7tG9IW0lI2X1=w800-h537-no.jpg

Remains of ?school above

7eCn4UmGMynvDrEfCrzfR_AdeATib8GE68JZT=w800-h538-no.jpg

First room, full of sawdust (dumped from the mill)

hEQWQOJBOna56UOPNOdKfocZ0wVbP5V8JunGS=w798-h535-no.jpg

Second room

pgXPEbNbS6sE7nRDjlrbKCaHVm_-B6JfCRPQJ=w798-h537-no.jpg

The writing on the wall appears to be pencil: WILFRED HALFPENNY LEFT Friday October 1955 TO THE BOYS WEEP. We named it after you.

pd91aumh-9uOqSHbjAOWiOdiA1-3WQEoncDqD=w800-h538-no.jpg

Does it go further? This is looking towards Brinksway air raid shelter

PQLbpu1QdfYvRl4nbdwROQ3kJd0iVxcvQ6ndt=w798-h535-no.jpg

It looks possible, but found nothing inside Brinksway to confirm. Red = Brinksway, blue = Ha'penny

fHrP7OTBbgxmG9e8kwO62PIunlyg4d1-RfJI=w1597-h696-no.jpg

Bricked up entrance in the mill

M7DoNe6WmQMFnS1ld8IoG4cfOmWzf7iv8aflx=w800-h538-no.jpg

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Interesting, never knew of, or saw the tunnels. Didn't know there was a school above either.......must brush up on my local history !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Good stuff this. Had a nosey at here a while back and ive always wondered what used to be at the top of the gated paths.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Between 1874 and 1898, Brinksway Chapel was located on the Eastern flank of the Mill and re-purposed as one of the local schools. The Chapel / School was built on elevated land above Brinksway, so one of the ways to access the grounds would be by the steep cobbled path that is gated off from the main road.

This would serve as one of two ways for access, as Spring Street higher up the hillside could also be used. Spring Street / Mount is now the site of the modern School and playing fields.

I'd say that the back-filled section of the shelter would be bricks and rubble from the demolished School, and with the Chapel being built as a separate building having no direct link to the mill, the route from the mills basement would make sense. Who knows, but it's exploring these places that creates the wonders and fascination.

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
I'd say that the back-filled section of the shelter would be bricks and rubble from the demolished School, and with the Chapel being built as a separate building having no direct link to the mill, the route from the mills basement would make sense. Who knows, but it's exploring these places that creates the wonders and fascination.

Thanks, you're probably right. Shamelessly stole your history and edited my post :p

Theundergroundheskey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was here on wednesday trying to find an entrance to the brinksway air raid shelter (failing miserably and falling in a whole lot of mud) was debating returning to find if the entrance was through this but reading this you have saved me many hours of disappointment thank you very much

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Keep trying. Took me a while, but quite obvious if you can overlay a map or two. Bit of elimination, and you'll find it. Have a search for Hunt Street :thumb

Xplr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not very exciting, but this thread https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/springmount-mill-stockport-december-2017.t111790#post-1194979 reminded me of it, as it's attached to the mill.

I think it is under an old school (now gone) so could have been used by both places. Between 1874 and 1898, Brinksway Chapel was located on the Eastern flank of the Mill and re-purposed as one of the local schools. The Chapel / School was built on elevated land above Brinksway, so one of the ways to access the grounds would be by the steep cobbled path that is gated off from the main road.

Discovered by SoundLighGo as me and @FreshFingers were having police called on us by nosy neighbours, for climbing the gate to the mill.

At first glance, basement/store rooms, but with thick offset walls (are they called baffle walls?) it seemed likely to be a shelter. There are two brick rooms, with arched ceilings.

Spring Mount Mill

Q54fOEFUmRSSRqx5N7JB-IP9T7tG9IW0lI2X1=w800-h537-no.jpg

Remains of ?school above

7eCn4UmGMynvDrEfCrzfR_AdeATib8GE68JZT=w800-h538-no.jpg

First room, full of sawdust (dumped from the mill)

hEQWQOJBOna56UOPNOdKfocZ0wVbP5V8JunGS=w798-h535-no.jpg

Second room

pgXPEbNbS6sE7nRDjlrbKCaHVm_-B6JfCRPQJ=w798-h537-no.jpg

The writing on the wall appears to be pencil: WILFRED HALFPENNY LEFT Friday October 1955 TO THE BOYS WEEP. We named it after you.

pd91aumh-9uOqSHbjAOWiOdiA1-3WQEoncDqD=w800-h538-no.jpg

Does it go further? This is looking towards Brinksway air raid shelter

PQLbpu1QdfYvRl4nbdwROQ3kJd0iVxcvQ6ndt=w798-h535-no.jpg

It looks possible, but found nothing inside Brinksway to confirm. Red = Brinksway, blue = Ha'penny

fHrP7OTBbgxmG9e8kwO62PIunlyg4d1-RfJI=w1597-h696-no.jpg

Bricked up entrance in the mill

M7DoNe6WmQMFnS1ld8IoG4cfOmWzf7iv8aflx=w800-h538-no.jpg
Do you know if there is an entrance to the school?

Matt81

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is awesome to know of ha'penny shelter.. I always wondered about ha'penny and brinksway around there and.. though sad about springmount mill i remember what it looked like before these YouTube goons and morons had at it..