real time web analytics
Report - - Harbour Chambers, Dundee - June 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harbour Chambers, Dundee - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with prettyvacant71. This is my last set of pics from the trip. We have both tried this place individually on separate occasions. I had access figured out once but ran out of time on my solo trip but this was sealed when she went. I didn't think we would get around to trying on this trip, never mind getting inside. We did a late night recce after a long day elsewhere and got lucky with a way in, so we returned a few days later very early in the morning. It was an absolute pain in the tits getting in, despite having worked access out in advance, it wasn't much fun when we actually did it!

History:

Located in the northwest entrance to Dundee's harbour, close to the city centre, the three-storey Customs House and Harbour Chambers is surely one of the largest in the country. It is reminder of the importance of the city as a sea-port in the 19th C. and the wealth of the trade passing though the harbour. It was built in 1842-3, to designs by James Leslie, the Dundee Harbour Engineer, and John Taylor, Surveyor of Buildings for HM Customs.

Built in the Classical style, the front is dominated by a massive projecting bay, capped by an ornate pediment which is supported by four Ionic columns.

The building provided accommodation for the Harbour Board, the harbour administration, and for the collection of harbour dues and customs levies.

sNYhUxgh.jpg

ACZMmWYh.jpg

tmN4XVUh.jpg

Dpb60Rih.jpg

aEn6Qx9h.jpg

bjoB9Kkh.jpg

9ugU64vh.jpg

3edlsW4h.jpg

j3xScAMh.jpg

NxOVsLkh.jpg

AaMh1OCh.jpg

1L92hkuh.jpg

GmDrMc5h.jpg

VCP2o7wh.jpg

6shS6abh.jpg

9bjKFsRh.jpg

EOLGJ3Gh.jpg

LpDAOgOh.jpg

oMMccyuh.jpg

3CCj1feh.jpg

IEhd3goh.jpg

vgxCnEyh.jpg

nsYvsMOh.jpg

tGIPHGDh.jpg

It6P9VOh.jpg

U6T6RAJh.jpg

1Td6jvBh.jpg

bYacspGh.jpg

IpJm6GHh.jpg

0IOIfjzh.jpg

Well over 2000 miles of driving, not nearly enough sleep every night, one broken wide angle lens, far too much McD's in one week... the most unrelaxing holiday ever! Best road trip yet! :D

Thanks for looking!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Amazing photos. I pass this often and think it’s a shame that it’s being left to rot.
Cheers. It’s being looked after by the Apex Hotel next door. They use part of it to store loads of crap from the hotel, and have plans to turn it into a luxury hotel soon.

Who has read this thread (Total: 154) View details