Web
Analytics
Report - - Hare Manor Hotel-Oxfordshire UK-July 2018 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hare Manor Hotel-Oxfordshire UK-July 2018

Serenity4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hare Manor Hotel

Our Visit: After an unsuccessful explore earlier in the day at our first intended location, getting kicked out by a grumpy old groundskeeper we decided to head back to a site we spotted on the drive up. We hadn't noticed any reports before so we were hoping it would be fresh and free from any damage. Once we made our way into the grounds we decided to look for an access point which was harder than we thought, the vast majority of the windows on ground level had been boarded or screwed down tight, however, we eventually found the worlds smallest point to fit through. It was a pretty tight squeeze but eventually made our way through!
Not sure how long this manor has been abandoned for but the first smell that hits you is dampness. Parts of the lower floors were covered in mould so we didn't stay there for too long. The real area of beauty is the floor upstairs, large rooms with intricately designed ceilings, wood panelling along the walls, chandeliers, and grand mirrors. If you've ever visited Lotus Hall or Hook End Manor, its a similar mix between the two. To be honest, for an explore that wasn't even planned in advanced we found a stunning place and it was worth the visit! The upstairs dining room/landing looks over the back of the grounds and adjacent lake.
The hotel rooms themselves aren't very interesting, just the fitted wardrobes and mattresses lay around, We got the feeling that some of the rooms must have been quite expensive to stay in due to their grandeur and personal balcony area.

Later during the visit, we made our way to the kitchen, unfortunately, it's the deep depths of hell down there. Apart from one window letting the light in, it's near enough pitch black. but none the less interesting to look around. The manor is situated to close to other houses and sports ground so we had to be quiet whilst looking around the pool area in the back of the manor.

There are cameras around the grounds, but we didn't get disturbed for the couple of hours we were looking around.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

h8.jpg

h9.jpg

h10.jpg

h11.jpg

h12.jpg

h13.jpg

h14.jpg

h15.jpg

h16.jpg

h17.jpg

h18.jpg

h19.jpg

h20.jpg

h21.jpg

h22.jpg

h23.jpg

h24.jpg

h25.jpg

h26.jpg

h27.jpg

Incandescent Photography

28DL Member
28DL Member
This venue was also know as The Springs Hotel, it has a lot of history because before it was a hotel it was owned by a guitarist Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame who was noted for his hedonistic parties held here. If you look at the swimming pool design, you will notice it's in the shape of a guitar, which was custom built for the famous owner, also down stairs is a spa. As a hotel its was often used as a wedding venue, I used to supply to the venues and its adjacent to a golf club.

Serenity4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This venue was also know as The Springs Hotel, it has a lot of history because before it was a hotel it was owned by a guitarist Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame who was noted for his hedonistic parties held here. If you look at the swimming pool design, you will notice it's in the shape of a guitar, which was custom built for the famous owner, also down stairs is a spa. As a hotel its was often used as a wedding venue, I used to supply to the venues and its adjacent to a golf club.
Interesting history! We didn't think anything great would be inside the manor, but its well worth the visit.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Don't know where the Hare Manor thing came from it's always been The Springs Hotel.

Had a brief nosey one evening last week and couldn't see an obvious way in but will keep an eye on it.

Serenity4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don't know where the Hare Manor thing came from it's always been The Springs Hotel.

Had a brief nosey one evening last week and couldn't see an obvious way in but will keep an eye on it.
It was just a cover name to stop twats finding out about the location and ruining it... but I guess that's out the window

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It was just a cover name to stop twats finding out about the location and ruining it... but I guess that's out the window
Sigh here we go again.

You should know now that all locations on this forum must be posted with their full name and location. Don't want the name out there? Don't post it.

Besides it took me around a minute to Google 'Oxfordshire Hotel closures' for me to find it...

Serenity4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sigh here we go again.

You should know now that all locations on this forum must be posted with their full name and location. Don't want the name out there? Don't post it.

Besides it took me around a minute to Google 'Oxfordshire Hotel closures' for me to find it...
I agree if we don't want locations to be found, don't post them, but we can at least delay people from finding it so easily, Regardless of how quick a google search may be. I've given 'cover' names on various posts before, it's then up to people to conduct their own research if they want to visit.
I believe giving the county should be enough of a heads up of where to start. I'm only trying to preserve these places whilst posting photos online. That's my opinion anyway...

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I agree if we don't want locations to be found, don't post them, but we can at least delay people from finding it so easily, Regardless of how quick a google search may be. I've given 'cover' names on various posts before, it's then up to people to conduct their own research if they want to visit.
I believe giving the county should be enough of a heads up of where to start. I'm only trying to preserve these places whilst posting photos online. That's my opinion anyway...
The trouble is that may be a laudable thing to do but it's not the done thing on this forum and directly contravenes one of the very first rules of it.

There are other forums out there that allow you to call stuff whatever you like, but not this one.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Codenames are a tricky one. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Two polar examples from Surrey: Frith Park aka 'The Acid House' stayed great right up until the very end after a few years of being explored, whereas Punch Lodge (fuck knows what it was actually called!) got worked out really quickly and got trashed, and was torched recently.

@mookster is absolutely right. If you want to protect it, don't post it. I have stuff that will never see the light of day on the forums, I wouldn't even post it in non public.

I don't know why you felt the need to slap one of your stickers for your website on the gents toilet sign. If you want to protect places, advertising them is a terrible start.

Serenity4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If that's the case then there's no need for me to post anything further on the forum. I appreciate the feedback however if posting the true name of a location is required then I see no point uploading a report online in the future. Also for the record, It's not like I placed a huge billboard outside, hardly advertising...

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
If that's the case then there's no need for me to post anything further on the forum. I appreciate the feedback however if posting the true name of a location is required then I see no point uploading a report online in the future. Also for the record, It's not like I placed a huge billboard outside, hardly advertising...
As I've said before there are other forums out there which allow you to call things whatever you like - this isn't one of them.