real time web analytics
Report - - Harold Wood Hospital - Aug 2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harold Wood Hospital - Aug 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
Picture147.jpg

Visited with Mito.

I went there mainly to see the mortuary that I'd seen in other reports. We found it in good condition, there were 3 slabs and lots of fridges.

Reading other people's reports I got the impression the security was tight there. It must have changed by the time we got there because we found the place very much accessible. The security seemed not to give a damn at all, most of the buildings were walk-in. At first I was delighted with this, after a while we discovered what the disadvantage was: the place was properly vandalised and stripped. It's a huge building complex so you'd thought there must be a lot to see inside but then you walk and walk and see a lot of the same empty rooms and corridors...

Having said that there still were some interesting bits.

Playground by the children's ward. This is the only outside shot that I've got. Most of the hospital are these one floor white buildings that you see in the background. Quite boring to be honest, not much to take pictures of.

Picture160.jpg

Mortuary is the most interesting part. I'm sure Mito has some better pictures of it.

Picture031.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Some empty halls

Picture120.jpg

Picture167.jpg

Boiler room

Picture076.jpg

Children's ward

Picture148.jpg

And some odds and bits

Picture165.jpg

Picture173.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Picture100.jpg

mito

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's sad that it was mostly empty, indeed some parts were very decayed although it was difficult to tell if this was due to natural processes or vandalism. I suspect an element of both. Nonetheless we spent quite a few hours in there, took quite a lot of shots and had a thoroughly good day.

Mito in the morgue.
01slab.jpg

Another from the morgue.
02bodyfreezersl.jpg

Unfortunately the morgue had spoiled our appetite to an extent, it was the reason we were there, it was the first bit that we came to and it was one of the best bits of the explore. Despite this there were still quite a few bits to see, so, onwards...

The boiler house chimney.
03chimney.jpg

Looking out a window towards the tennis courts, the buildings in the background are also abandoned. Staff accommodation by the looks of it but we didn't explore them.
06tenniscourtandbuildingsafarandsomelonggrasswhatalongfilenamethisis.jpg

Not the shot I was aiming for at all but I liked the way it turned out. The stars on the floor were a little oddity for this place as most of the other floors were very clinical (as you'd expect for a hospital I'd guess)
08cablesandstarsonfloor.jpg

Parts of it were in a really bad way, this part was probably the most extreme.
15lotsofdecay.jpg

I found these plans for the Oldchurch Hospital redevelopment scheme. If anyone is interested feel free to grab the high res version
14oldchurchhostredev.jpg

Welcome to A&E!
11aande.jpg

The stairs
16stairs.jpg

The place actually closed on the 13th but I guess the staff had an extra day to sort their stuff out. Farewell anyway :)
20farewellharoldwood.jpg