real time web analytics
Report - - Harold Wood hospital Essex 04/04/2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harold Wood hospital Essex 04/04/2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well it looks like everyone had the same idea this weekend to hit Harold Wood hospital :D

Mine was a solo visit on Saturday, rather than hit the mortuary I did the beginning of life end which was the maternaty area and theatres. The place was quite clean by abandoned hospital standards and was a good walk round while avoiding security which I did see on a couple of occasions (good job they wear high Viz) :p

The hospital was opened in 1909 by West Ham County Borough council, as the Grange convalescent home for children, which operated with the nearby Plaistow fever hospital. The Grange had been a private house, built in 1884 by John Compton, owner of the Gubbins estate. The convalescent home was maintained by the county borough until the Second World War, as an emergency hospital. After the war it became a permanent hospital, and in the 1960s was significantly enlarged.

The hospital later became part of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust. It was closed on 13 December 2006 with patients and functions relocated to Queen's Hospital and to King George Hospital. The site vacated by the hospital has been earmarked for a 470-home housing development.

024-6.jpg

045-5.jpg

023-11.jpg

016-8.jpg

032-2.jpg

035-3.jpg

043-7.jpg

039-2.jpg

048-3.jpg

049-1.jpg

059-2.jpg

054-4.jpg